Hi. I’m new and need help.

Wiwiwisjebd

Location (City and/or State)
London
I got my Horsfield tortoise who is roughly 4-6 months old around 3 weeks ago and today noticed on the lower part of his plastron it

F4566041-53E5-4884-A0AC-7ECCDB208542.jpeg

looks like it’s either damaged or potentially showing rot? I’m a first time owner and worried about what it could be. I can’t get a vets appointment for another 2 weeks so any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, I am not familiar with horsefields. I will keep watch on your post to see if you get a response soon.
I will give a shout out to @Tom hopefully he will reply.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got my Horsfield tortoise who is roughly 4-6 months old around 3 weeks ago and today noticed on the lower part of his plastron it

looks like it’s either damaged or potentially showing rot? I’m a first time owner and worried about what it could be. I can’t get a vets appointment for another 2 weeks so any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
I see the area of concern, but when I zoom in it is too blurry. Take a closer shot with the problem area in clear focus so we can see what we are dealing with. Tag me with an @ when you post it so I'll get notified.

@Yvonne has much more experience than I do treating tortoise injuries and problems since she ran a rescue for so many years. Let's ask for her input.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I see the area of concern, but when I zoom in it is too blurry. Take a closer shot with the problem area in clear focus so we can see what we are dealing with. Tag me with an @ when you post it so I'll get notified.

@Yvonne has much more experience than I do treating tortoise injuries and problems since she ran a rescue for so many years. Let's ask for her input.
Yvonne was my first choice but she is out of commission with broken bones.

• Wow
Reactions: Tom

Wiwiwisjebd

London
@Tom thank you so much for your response.
I’ve attached some more images!

39C8CC41-1B70-4BD3-A052-DAE45C1E47D0.jpeg39C8CC41-1B70-4BD3-A052-DAE45C1E47D0.jpeg

Attachments

• EC0C1F99-1E5D-4717-BA22-C2A246F6A9D7.jpeg
    EC0C1F99-1E5D-4717-BA22-C2A246F6A9D7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom thank you so much for your response.
I’ve attached some more images!
Do you have a dog? Did the previous owner? Look very closely at the top of the carapace and see if there are any marks there.

In any case, whatever the case of this, I don't think there is anything to do about it at this point. This looks like old damage that is healing over. Feed, house, and hydrate the tortoise well, and it should continue healing.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Is it possible that the baby was kept to dry prior to him and that is from the egg sac?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I see nothing of concern. All I see is the old scar from the yolk sac on either side of the new growth that is now separating with good, new growth. Are you talking about the "wrinkled" marks/depressions on both abdominal scutes at bottom center-line?