Hi new here and to tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

semog

5 Year Member
Hi my name is Emily. I work at a pet store and someone brought in a "turtle" they found by a creek. I knew it wasn't a native to Oklahoma and had an inkling what it was. They were just going to put it by the creek again so I told them I would take it. It is an African spurred tortoise. Its a female and her name is now Sassafras(my 3yr old named her) we already have a Red eared Slider named Oscar. Also we have 3 cats and 2 dogs. 2 kids a husband and me. I have my very own zoo. Well Sassafras was unexpected and I am waiting to see if our actual zoo would like to add her to their reptiles. In the mean time I want to give her the best care I can. I haven't seen any poop yet but have her on Timothy hay and she has a box to hide in and water available(shallow dish she can climb out of) and a heat lamp. She really isn't eating any greens I give her though. She is walking around a bit now. She did just stay huddled in the corner. I have her in a baby caged pen so 8ft by 4ft incloser in my garage. She is about 8-10 in big. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.\!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Good save! I love the name by the way. :D

Have you checked out the sulcata section yet? Especially the threads at the top.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Emily!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Emily welcome to the TFO
What's the temp in the garage . I probley start with a warm bath and then
Put it in the back yard in the after noon
And watch to see if it will eat the grass

semog

5 Year Member
It's about 70-75 in the garage. I can't put her outback because I work till the evening and don't trust me dogs to not eat her. She did eat some apple I fed her the other day before I read not to feed fruit. I have no idea how long she was loose. Also how old are they when they are 8-10 in big?

Andeld

5 Year Member
I'm from Oklahoma too...where are you from? There was a tortoise they have been looking for from Shawnee. Can't remember if it was a sulcata or not. I have 2 sullies, a Russian and golden Greek. Oh and if its a sulcata...def not native to Oklahoma and will not survive on its own here. Glad he/she is in safe hands. Lots of groups on Facebook for sulcata lovers that would be beneficial to you. Are you in fb?

Andeld

5 Year Member
I also sent you an email with my contact info.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Andeld said:
Lots of groups on Facebook for sulcata lovers that would be beneficial to you. Are you in fb?

...or she can stay right here and get the BEST information on sulcatas!! :p

Andeld

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Andeld said:
Lots of groups on Facebook for sulcata lovers that would be beneficial to you. Are you in fb?

...or she can stay right here and get the BEST information on sulcatas!! :p

I meant nothing bad by the FB comment...at the time I hadn't been through all of this forum. I'm new to this forum too and I'm just learning to navigate it. I orig had this in my twitter feed which is how I saw this orig posting.

Andeld

5 Year Member
MWC? Seriously? Did u get my email? I'm in MWC too. Lol.

semog

5 Year Member
I did! I'm on my iPad and can't reply cause email is messed up.

I put a pic of her on this board if you want to see her

Andeld

5 Year Member
Is it under this topic? Here is the Shawnee Redfoot that is missing ImageUploadedByTortForum1378936054.034113.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378936063.654876.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378936071.447673.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

semog

5 Year Member
Oh she finally pooped today and is walking around and eating finally. She got kale and turnip greens today.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378936131.933434.jpg

This is my girl

Last edited by a moderator:

Andeld

5 Year Member
Ok def a sulcata. I just now found the other pic posted lol

semog

5 Year Member
We are going to build her a turtle box and I will get a UVB bulb. I work at pet-vet supply.

Andeld

5 Year Member
She'll looks really good. her shell is in great condition. this was somebody's pet that I doubt they set loose on purpose. Have you tried posting on Craigslist under Pets found Tort....

semog

5 Year Member
No I haven't yet someone brought her in and they were just going to put her back in the creek.

Status
Not open for further replies.