hi new hit. hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve g

5 Year Member
not long got two horsefield tortoises. all going ok, one always on his back when climbing in conservatory. worries me. also they are 5 years old. worrying about hibination issues. pet shop says keep them warm and wont need too. getting conflicting advice. in the main they are great. in a viv at night has conservatory in the day and when warm and i am in the garden they come out, they love it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Steve: Welcome to the forum!! Russians are very nice and personable tortoises. I'd love to see pictures!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Hope we can give you some advice and clear up questions, without making you more confused.:p

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
If you post some photos and more details of your tortoises' set-up, there are many tortoise experts on here who can give you valuable information and good advice.

Here's one way to post photos http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html, or you can try tinypic.com or flickr .

I followed the advice of another member by putting medium sized rocks, or groups of rocks, at about a tortoise-length distance from the walls of my enclosures, to give my tortoise an object to lever against if she overturns herself. Slopes and plants can serve the same purpose.

Welcome to the forum! Your user name makes me think of Stevie G the football player, who'd better shine for England against Germany tomorrow!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Yeah, that was a very sad outcome for England. It was hard to watch. Steve McManaman seemed on the verge of tears during the post-match review when the commentators were discussing England's future as a world football power.

Tough to reconcile such a top quality league with merciless underperformances on the international stage.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Stephanie Logan said:
Yeah, that was a very sad outcome for England. It was hard to watch. Steve McManaman seemed on the verge of tears during the post-match review when the commentators were discussing England's future as a world football power.

Tough to reconcile such a top quality league with merciless underperformances on the international stage.

That's what's so annoying about the world cup though, a madness seems to descend on the English which causes us to delude ourselves into entertaining the very idea that we are authentic competitors for the title. This afternoon grown men were brawling in the street, many of which vocalising racist slurs regarding the Germans, and not to mention people (McManaman included) being moved to tears, I just think they're in need of a little perspective. It brings out the worst in the English, everyone seems to dictate the opinion that you should be patriotic and support our team, don't get me wrong I enjoy a good match as much as the next person, but patriotism? It was a round world last time I heard.
How come you're such a big fan of the scousers anyway?
-Sorry Steve this is way off the topic of your introduction! (we'll have to continue until you post photos :p)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group and congrats on the tort! It is your choice later on as to hibernate or not. You do not need to hibernate to have a healthy and happy tort. If you want to hibernate a tort, wait until you've had them at least one winter, make sure they are a healthy weight, in good health (parasite free), and be well educated on how to do it. If you don't want to hibernate, you just keep them at normal/summer temps year round (also called over-wintering, as if you keep the tort outside, you'd bring it in and keep it warm for the winter). We'd love some photos of the torts and enclosure, as well as info about how you care for them such as what you feed and what the temperatures are. When torts flip, usually they are trying to climb something. If it is something in the enclosure, see if you can remove it. If they are climbing a wall, likely they can see over or through it and think they can get out. Clear walls confuse them. If walls are too short (such as they can see out) they will keep trying to climb them. Over time you will make adjustments to the enclosure. Usually flipping over is more of a problem with hatchlings, so this could get better over time if they are still growing. When on their backs their lungs are compressed so they have trouble breathing, so it is very important you help them flip back if they can't do it themselves (rocks will help them help themselves). Being under a heat lamp or in water will have them not be able to "last" as long on their back. If they are flipping in only one part of the enclosure, I think there is something inside of or something to do with the enclosure wall there that is different, so that is why photos can help us help you determine what is the problem. What is the conservatory you speak of?

Status
Not open for further replies.