Hi there - I'm Joel from Milwaukee - Contemplating the purchase of a tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jweiner

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
My son and I were at a pet store the other day and they had adorable small Greek tortoises (about 3" long). My son has been on the lookout for an interesting pet since I am allergic to all things furry and hairy. When I got home, I did a little research and learned that both the Russian and Greek tortoises remain relatively small and are both good tortoises for beginners. Since we live in Wisconsin, I am not planning on an outdoor enclosure and my wife will not allow a tortoise to overtake the house. I was thinking that a reptile aquarium 36"L x 18"D x 12"H would do the trick. What I am wondering is which of these tortoises would make for a hardier pet (Greek or Russian)? Would it be able to live (forever) in a tank with the dimensions I noted above? Are there any breeders in Wisconsin and if not, where is the best place to purchase a tortoise? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :tort:

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome, i Know You Can Buy Russians From Petco or Petsmart!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
In my opinion that seems a bit too small for a tortoise to live in forever. You'd have to purchase an expensive mercury vapor bulb unless you are able to provide it with regular sunshine daily. They also need room to move around. Don't take the pet shops word for it either. There are great tortoise breeders here and websites you can look at under members signatures.

A tortoises diet consists of much grass and weeds as a regular diet. Store bought greens can help but not as a regular diet

I'm sure others will have more info for you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Joel:

Welcome to the forum!!

I think you and your wife are going to have to have some discussions about keeping a tortoise in the house. The price of the tortoise is the least of the expenses.

A tortoise is a wild animal...that is, they haven't undergone years and years of human intervention to make it a domesticated animal. As a wild animal, he does much better outside. For his mental as well as physical well-being, he needs first of all, an outdoor habitat. Then when the weather doesn't permit him to be outside, his SECONDARY habitat would be indoors. An indoor habitat needs to be much larger than aquarium (for an adult tortoise). They are wanderers and cover many miles of territory whilst grazing. An aquarium does ok when the tortoise is a baby, but as he grows and matures, he is going to need a larger area.

Then there's the UVB/MVB light, which is essential for an indoor tortoise's health. This is a costly item. He'll need substrate to dig in, a waterer and a feeding station, a hiding place, maybe some fake (or real) plants for hiding and to make it interesting for him. And, of course, the occasional vet visit, which is definitely NOT cheap.

Please take some time to peruse the forum, paying particular attention to the feeding and enclosure sections. Do a lot of research before you spend the initial $$ on a tortoise. If you decide you still want a tortoise, then we'll be happy to help you with your questions.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
Hi Joel welcome to the forum always nice to see someone from my neck of the woods on here.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Welcome to the forum. We have some Greek breeders on this forum if you are interested. I would post a wanted ad once you decide exactly which species of tortoise you want.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Hi Joel. You can absolutely keep a Greek or Russian tortoise indoors and have them do very well. Supervised visits to a safe outdoor enclosure when the weather is nice would do it well. The outdoor enclosure could be as simple as some cider blocks forming a square. Just make sure it is "supervised", never left alone outdoors. Either of the tortoises you mention will eventually need something larger than the tank you describe. Something that works very well and is inexpesive when the little one is older is a christmas tree storage bin. You can get them around Christmas at Walmart for around $30 or so. The size tank you describe would work for the first couple of years. As for the "expensive" mercury vapor bulbs other describe, they are not absolutely necessary. If you get the little one some out side time several times a week during the summer and supplement and feed correctly, you do not need a MV bulb. Additionally, a MV bulb would likely be too hot for the tank you describe.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum :)
You have already received very very good advices :)
I agree that the size of the enclosure you mentionned are too small... Have you showed a tortoise to your wife? The first time we went to the pet store, my hubby feel in love right away :D I was very happy because I wanted both of them on the "same page" regarding the purchase of a "pet".

jweiner

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
Isa said:
Welcome to the forum :)
You have already received very very good advices :)
I agree that the size of the enclosure you mentionned are too small... Have you showed a tortoise to your wife? The first time we went to the pet store, my hubby feel in love right away :D I was very happy because I wanted both of them on the "same page" regarding the purchase of a "pet".

Yep - my wife thinks they are very cute, particularly the baby Greeks. I am still a bit worried about habitat size. I know that male Greeks get to be about 5", which seems so small, yet they appear to still need a lot of space.

mommytoeandj

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
Hello Joel! I'm from Milwaukee, too. Where did you see the Greek - was it at Hoffer's? We just bought a baby greek from Tim Beard off of Kingsnake.com, which is a site I found off of this website. There are also some Greeks for sale on the For Sale section of this forum. We ended up buying a Greek because they were a little smaller (and cuter!) than a Russian, in our opinion. We have only an indoor habitat, but we do take Grassy outside when the weather is over 60 degrees (twice so far!!). We ended up purchasing a complete indoor setup from the Turtle Source, for about $300 which is an adequate size for the tortoise for a long time and came with the mercury bulb, housing, and stand for the light. Grassy seems happy, though we do have to struggle a little to keep the humidity up high enough for her. I've found this forum to be a great place to get more info and the people are all very willing to give their opinions and experience, though at times the results are a little conflicting, so keep in mind that it's just people's experience and opinions. That all said, I'm just a newbie myself, though my family is enjoying our hobby with one tortoise so far! Good luck!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My indoor enclosure is a book case layed on its side with table legs made of cinder block all painted to match. I spent about $10.00 as the book case or actually entertainment center was an old one that was going to be thrown away. For out door time (mine get a lot of California sun shine) I use a rabbit cage set on the lawn. They will have a better out door enclosure soon.
I think tortoises make the best pets ever, but they may not be the best pet for a kid. They are more of a pet you observe than play with. My 12 year old has very little intrest in my torts and my 17 year old loves them. All kids are different. Please make sure your boy understands how to care for a tort before you get one

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My indoor enclosure is a book case layed on its side with table legs made of cinder block all painted to match. I spent about $10.00 as the book case or actually entertainment center was an old one that was going to be thrown away. For out door time (mine get a lot of California sun shine) I use a rabbit cage set on the lawn. They will have a better out door enclosure soon.
I think tortoises make the best pets ever, but they may not be the best pet for a kid. They are more of a pet you observe than play with. My 12 year old has very little intrest in my torts and my 17 year old loves them. All kids are different. Please make sure your boy understands how to care for a tort before you get one

jweiner

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
mommytoeandj said:
Hello Joel! I'm from Milwaukee, too. Where did you see the Greek - was it at Hoffer's? We just bought a baby greek from Tim Beard off of Kingsnake.com, which is a site I found off of this website. There are also some Greeks for sale on the For Sale section of this forum. We ended up buying a Greek because they were a little smaller (and cuter!) than a Russian, in our opinion. We have only an indoor habitat, but we do take Grassy outside when the weather is over 60 degrees (twice so far!!). We ended up purchasing a complete indoor setup from the Turtle Source, for about $300 which is an adequate size for the tortoise for a long time and came with the mercury bulb, housing, and stand for the light. Grassy seems happy, though we do have to struggle a little to keep the humidity up high enough for her. I've found this forum to be a great place to get more info and the people are all very willing to give their opinions and experience, though at times the results are a little conflicting, so keep in mind that it's just people's experience and opinions. That all said, I'm just a newbie myself, though my family is enjoying our hobby with one tortoise so far! Good luck!

Yes it was at Hoffers and my son wanted me to buy it right then and there, but it seemed pricey at $259.00. How do you keep the humidity up? I would have no problem keeping it warm, but the humditiy is another thing.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I dont know if greeks do what Russians do.. but pacing and back and forth back and forth.. will drive you crazy if inside..
russians are great little torts tho...mine is outside.. in a bout a 4x8 area.. and they are escape artists...
welcome... and keep reading! :)

mommytoeandj

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
Yes it was at Hoffers and my son wanted me to buy it right then and there, but it seemed pricey at $259.00. How do you keep the humidity up? I would have no problem keeping it warm, but the humditiy is another thing.
[/quote]

We have started using a watering can with warm water to soak the substrate (cypress mulch and coco coir bought from PetCo) once or twice a week. From what I understand you want warm moist substrate, because cold moist substrate can cause respiratory infections. There's also some small hides you can make with a carved-out half-log or an overturned half ceramic pot to further increase local humidity.

I didn't buy from Hoffer's because I've found that they're overpriced for Greek tortoises by about $100, though they do have a great reputation and seem to know a lot about their tortoises. I highly recommend Tim/Robin here if they have any babies left. Tim was great in answering all my questions and seems to really care about the baby tortoises he sells. He shipped mine overnight and it arrived safely at the FedEx by the airport where we picked it up to keep it from having to wait until it got delivered later that day.

I have two children who are very interested in Grassy, but also understand that she needs to be treated carefully. My husband is also allergic to all hair/fur/feathers, and the Greek tortoises seem to be a good choice for our family so far!

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
Hi Joel,
Its always good seeing people doing their research before going out and buying a new pet and then trying to find out how they need to care for it. Take your time deciding what kind you want because it will be with you for a very long time.Whichever species you decide to go with you will find lots of great info. here on how to care for it.

Jon

jweiner

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
mommytoeandj said:

Out of curiosity, did you get a male since they stay smaller? Also, what setup did you get from the turtle source? Another member led me to the showcase cages website where it looks like they have really nice turtle cages.

Status
Not open for further replies.