Hi Yall!!! From Texas

kyah

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi. My name is Kyah (KY ah). I am living in central Texas. I've recently been researching different tortoises and would love any input from experienced tortoise owners. I am 26, a homeowner, and a teacher. Never been married, no kids. I have two furbabies: Jack (Boston/weenie mutt) and Ellie (Boston). Jack is 4, Ellie is 2. I was looking to getting a smaller tortoise as my first one. I was looking at getting a Russian but that could all change. I want to make sure I have researched enough and are prepared before investing and bringing one home. Any tips for a newbie? Any advice? Which tortoise would be good in my climate/for someone with no experience. I'm open to any advice. Like I said I've been reading online the past couple days but by no means do I feel prepared. Where should I get a tortoise from? I've heard good and bad things from people online from pet stores and online so please educate me! Thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kyah welcome to the TFO from AZ . Russians are a great choice ! But why did you limit your self , what others have you looked at like : Greeks , Hermanns , Leopards , Marginals , or even Box Turtles ?

kyah

Texas
I wasn't limiting, that was just the main one I was researching. I have been looking at Greeks as well. I think the leopards get larger than I was looking for and in all honesty I have never heard of the others, so thank you for adding new torts to my list.

kyah

Texas
I only knew oft the four pet smart has on their website but I was trying to not buy from a pet store. I would value an input as to where/whom to purchase from.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I wasn't limiting, that was just the main one I was researching. I have been looking at Greeks as well. I think the leopards get larger than I was looking for and in all honesty I have never heard of the others, so thank you for adding new torts to my list.

Hermanns and Marginated are related to Greeks (same genus).

Do you have a preference on age, do you want to start with a hatchling?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kyah, and welcome to the Forum!

Go to the species specific section and read the different care sheets at the tops of each species category. The care sheets will tell you what you need to know about housing each species, and that should help you make a decision.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. Definitely check out the species specific section. Once you decide what kind of tortoise you would like then decide if you want to hatchling or an adult. In my opinion, hatchlings are more fragile and getting their care correct right from the start is extremely important. Adults are a little more forgiving. Either way, I would suggest possibly purchasing one from somebody here on the forum if you want to get hatchling. If you want an adult you may be able to find one on craigslist or rescue. Or also here on the forum.
There is a lot of conflicting information out there and it can get confusing. I suggest you stay here on this site because it has the most up-to-date information. I know this because I did a lot of research before I got my Russian tortoise. Also, as tempting as it is do not get a pair of tortoises. Tortoises don't do well in pairs. It's great that you are researching before you go out and just impulse buy a tortoise.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Hey fellow Texan! Welcome!! I would peruse the forum in regards to the different species and also contact a local tortoise rescue near you. Go take a look at the various torts needing homes, their habitats and talk to those who have "seen it all." That might help you as well!

kyah

Texas
No definately not an impulse buy. I will probably research for another couple months before making my decision. I would like to get my habitats set up prior as well.

Hi dawn. What part of Texas are you in?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Kyah - welcome to a great place for information and inspiration. The caresheets and experienced keepers here will hep you make a sensible choice and will always be here to offer advice and support.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Welcome Kyah! Good luck with your decision. :) Personally, I would buy a tortoise from one of the expert breeders here at the forum, and not petsmart. The pet stores tend to give them an inadequate start. Welcome again! :pImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432559774.736805.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
For a first tortoise. I have a few recommendations. Not on type. But in general;

Ignore pet store recommendations entirely. Especially on what to buy / lights , waterdish, substrata, aquarium whatever.

Decide what type you want. Then set up habitat FIRST with guidelines from forum here.

IMO a yearling or older is best way to start out. Much more likely to be successful right off the bat. These are VERY long lived so a 9moth - 2 yo is still a very young tort.

Then , if you can afford it , get one off a forum member who comes recommended in some way. If they are a breeder they should be willing to provide references if asked. If a hobbiest see if they have been on the forum awhile.

If you find one on Craig's list. Ask about and observe how it's been raised and compare that with the recommendations on forum.

You can even take photos of it and post here to ask how it looks.

I know all this seems like overkill in preparation. But to me this would be the " ideal".

Life is not always so organized and planned out. But you're the exception here , asking before committing , and before making multiple errors in care. Before having a sick tort

Let us know how it goes :)
Michael

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I have adopted 3 adult ornate box turtles an adult Greek tortoise from my local turtle club/rescue. Not knowing how old they are or what their life experiences have been up to this point is part of the fun for me. I like the mystery. And like someone else said, they are less "fragile", relatively, than babies.

I also like that all mine hibernate, because when they emerge in the spring it is such an exciting time!

All 4 of my shelled pets have completely separate living areas in my backyard. I learned early on about bullying and hogging the food dish :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum, Kyah.
I prefer Greeks, myself, but I am rather biased.