Hi!

Wildwa

Hey everyone, new member here. Looking forward to meeting many of you and learning from your tortoise wisdom!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Wildwa

Nothing yet, still trying to decide on what species. Been wanting one for a while but I want to make the right decision. I'm hoping that experts like yourselves will help me with that :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Nothing yet, still trying to decide on what species. Been wanting one for a while but I want to make the right decision. I'm hoping that experts like yourselves will help me with that :)
Hey there! Welcome to TFO! Can you tell us what state you're in? This will help us find a tortoise that can adapt to your climate :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Do you favor something big or smaller ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Wildwa

Thank you, yep I live in Minnesota and I live in a smaller place without an option to build any sort of outdoor enclosure, so it would have to be a smaller species. A friend of mine has a Sulcuta but lives out in the country with acreage so obviously different circumstances. My biggest concern is humidity since our winter months are quite dry. I keep snakes and to keep the humidity at 60% in the winter takes a little doing, so that also plays a factor in my choices. I have been doing a lot of reading but to be honest I'm still a little lost as there is a lot of conflicting information out there. I'm pretty open to any type of enclosure and would want what is best, I don't want to take cheap shortcuts.

Wildwa

Those are actually a couple I was considering. What type of enclosure would suit them best?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Welcome!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
A Russian makes a great first tort. They are very hardy and don't get very big. Greeks are nice as well. You will need to build your own enclosure and if you get a hatchling you will need to keep constant humidity levels of 80%. Humidity is key to smooth shell growth. Once it's older you can drop the humidity level. Check out the care sheets we have listed, they will tell you everything you need to know about raising a tort.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Wildwa

Good info, thanks! I see a lot of these open enclosures and all I can think to ask is how in the world do you keep the humidity up in those? I could understand if you live in a naturally humid environment, otherwise I'm at a loss o_O

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
A Russian makes a great first tort. They are very hardy and don't get very big. Greeks are nice as well. You will need to build your own enclosure and if you get a hatchling you will need to keep constant humidity levels of 80%. Humidity is key to smooth shell growth. Once it's older you can drop the humidity level. Check out the care sheets we have listed, they will tell you everything you need to know about raising a tort.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Greeks need a %65-%75 humidity :D.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Good info, thanks! I see a lot of these open enclosures and all I can think to ask is how in the world do you keep the humidity up in those? I could understand if you live in a naturally humid environment, otherwise I'm at a loss o_O
Almost all people who want added humidity make closed chambers :)

Wildwa

Thanks for all the welcomes and replies. I'll dig into the care sheets for the Russian and Greeks and see which one would suit me best.