Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthoppy

5 Year Member
hi i need some advice really. i have had a hermann tortoise called Woody for about two years now, i have just expanded his living space to four foot, but he is looking a little bit lonely now so i would like to get him some more friends. i was just wondering if they had to be the same species or can i have a few in there. i went to a pet shop an he had hermanns and redfoots together i asked if they was ok to do and he said it was fine i just wanted a second apinion. Lastly what is the idea amount of tortoises to have in a four foot viv i would like four or five over a period of time. hope to get some answers soon many thanks matt.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hi Matt tortoises are perfectly fine when housed by themselves but you can put more tortoises with him. I would not mix species together as they might give each other diseases and up either sick or dead. I would also not put any other hermanns with him if they are significantly smaller than him due to bullying and possibly mating if he is a male. I would only get another one if it is around the same size. I would tell the pet shop owner to separate the redfoots and hermanns immediately especially if they are wild caught animals. Are they babies or are they older? Also could we get some pics of your setup and tort?

matthoppy

5 Year Member
hi Eweezyfosheezy thanks for the reply it is very helpfull the tortoise i am looking to put in there are also hermans and they are not quite but similar sizes. i will the the pet shop owned when i am next in the area i was sure he was wrong when he told me, how many tortoises would you put together in a four foot tank. i am sorting pics out of my set up at the mo pics will b up shortly.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would have to see the tortoises and the tank but would there be any way you can keep them outside? Also may we know where you are from and your name?

matthoppy

5 Year Member
yea they are mostly outside anyway the only time they come in doors is through the night or if me and my partner are not in, it is a real shame cause i really wanted a red foot but i will just keep them as hermanns if that is for the best.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
O then the enclosure inside should be good to use if they only use it for sleeping. You can still get a red foot but just keep them separated.

matthoppy

5 Year Member
thanks for the welcome pdrobber. yea i know i can still get one but keep them seperate but that is just very expensive i may as well just spend the time money and effort on just hermanns then i just find them all amazine, fasinating creatures.
matt

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Matt:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

Another reason not to mix the Hermanns and redfoot is that they both require totally different types of habitat.

matthoppy

5 Year Member
hi all i am matt and i come from sunny England, can you put hermanns and horsefields together or does that also cause problems.
Speak soon
Matt

matthoppy

5 Year Member
hi all i am matt and i come from sunny England, can you put hermanns and horsefields together or does that also cause problems.
Speak soon
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.