Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

nature'sown

5 Year Member
My name is Joe my interest is in the tortise in the wild.
I do not have any tortises though I live with 3 dogs(Lucy , Thea , and Scrappy) and two cats (Jack , and Kip)
I am a retired single 69 year old beautiful youngster ...who has taken an interest in the tortoise. I do not want to own one at this time though.
Am I in the right place to get feed back?
I haven't figured out how to do my profile so here it goes
Bithdate !!/8/1939
Hometown: Baltimore, Maryland
I am a man
Love all of nature
I am an artist...working with anything from pencil, magic markers, acrylics,oil.........wood carving(preferably root I pull out of the earth that I already see a form in it)...........I am a writer of short stories and prose
I like to dance and sing
Like Classic jazz and classic rock....with a love for new age...mostly Dave Lanz and Paul Speers oldies from 1980's and Kitaro

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum Joe :)

There is quite a bit here about tortoises in the wild, mostly Desert tortoises though. But have a read and ask any questions you like.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Joe! I wish more new forum members would be so "giving" with their personal profiles. I also love tortoises, but don't live in an area where I would be able to ever see a wild one, so I have my own collection and have tried to set them up in "wild" habitats and natural settings. I'm glad you found us and hope to see more of you in the future!

Yvonne

nature'sown

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:

There is quite a bit here about tortoises in the wild, mostly Desert tortoises though. But have a read and ask any questions you like.

Danny

Thank you Danny , nice to meet you.
Joe

emysemys said:
Welcome to the forum, Joe! I wish more new forum members would be so "giving" with their personal profiles. I also love tortoises, but don't live in an area where I would be able to ever see a wild one, so I have my own collection and have tried to set them up in "wild" habitats and natural settings. I'm glad you found us and hope to see more of you in the future!

Yvonne
Hi Yvonne,
I have always felt a connection emotionally to the tortoise , since I was 5 years old, when after a huge storm I was walking thru the forest where I lived and a tree had fall across the entire stream walking across it was this large bigger than life tortise.
I once found one walking across a road a few years back and a friend happened to be coming by in his van and we took him/her over to the Jones Falls and let him/her go down by the water.
I have practiced the I Ching for twenty years and naturally the wisdom of the tortise was read out by it's structure....in hexagrams.
Having followed my astrological sign for many years...scorpio and gone thru all the changes I went thru...a period as a dove...a phoenix and an eagle, I felt I could go no further with anyone elses ideas and created my own chart using the tortise and the latest planet discovered...my stone is the rock...flower, the pansy....and number is one.
I have followed the tortise personality and I have all those characteristic qualities...and each day I do my own reading.
Even so thank you for reply and I did check out Clovis, from your profile.
Joe
Oh yes I did one time become attached to a rescued Terripan that had a aquarium in a local library and I visited everyday for about a month until I moved back to Baltimore, Maryland from Ocean City Md....I can't recall the name given to him/herI feel certain it was a she now that I remember. After a while when I would pull up my chair and speak to her I am almost certain now, she would come over and lean on the window by me like she was hearing every word...almost brought tears back remembering... because the crack on the shell was why she was being helped and eventually they were to set her free. I had thought about adopting her ,I was just a month from the end of a marriage of 20 years and wasn't secure enough at the time to take on resposibility for anything other than myself.
Thank you sharing about this is helpful for me in revisiting incidents that were both joyful and painful at the time....all of which I view my past as a magnificent journey to today...........having been freed of guilts, remorse ,shame and confusion of the past my today is awesome.
Glad to have met you.
Joe
Your pics of all the beautiful tortises and turtles are inspirational.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I live in montreal, Canada so it is impossible for me to see or to meet wild tortoises or turtles.
Are you planning to buy a tortoise one day?
I am sure you will find all the answers to your questions on this site.

nature'sown

5 Year Member
Isa said:
I live in montreal, Canada so it is impossible for me to see or to meet wild tortoises or turtles.
Are you planning to buy a tortoise one day?
I am sure you will find all the answers to your questions on this site.

Hi Isa,
Thank you for the greeting, it is nice to be acknowledged.
I don't think I would buy a tortoise , quite possibly I would rescue one or two along the way when I get more settled in my new lodgings.
Joe
I have been to Canada once, and that was to go to Niagagra Falls with Jeanne , my last wife. Had a wonderful time, she is a good girl and my best friend and we still talk pretty regularly.
So Magnificent being that close to those awesome falls..one of the most fantastic places I have ever been.
My favorite rememberance of beauty and magnificence of nature , was catching a sunset on Route 66 back in the mid 60's ,blew me away...I turned a bend in the road and there it was going down behind mountain and it covered the entire mountain .I did one time many years later after closing a restaurant to a bankrupcy Jeanne and I had, park my car at home and took a bus out to Albequrqe, New Mexico..........couldn't find anything near as fantastic...but on my return trip following a tornado for hundred of miles, and when we stopped in Kansas Cith a really good friend of mine happen to be coming back from working a job..that made the trip so worthwhile.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
nature said:
Hi Isa,
Thank you for the greeting, it is nice to be acknowledged.
I don't think I would buy a tortoise , quite possibly I would rescue one or two along the way when I get more settled in my new lodgings.
Joe
I have been to Canada once, and that was to go to Niagagra Falls with Jeanne , my last wife. Had a wonderful time, she is a good girl and my best friend and we still talk pretty regularly.
So Magnificent being that close to those awesome falls..one of the most fantastic places I have ever been.
My favorite rememberance of beauty and magnificence of nature , was catching a sunset on Route 66 back in the mid 60's ,blew me away...I turned a bend in the road and there it was going down behind mountain and it covered the entire mountain .I did one time many years later after closing a restaurant to a bankrupcy Jeanne and I had, park my car at home and took a bus out to Albequrqe, New Mexico..........couldn't find anything near as fantastic...but on my return trip following a tornado for hundred of miles, and when we stopped in Kansas Cith a really good friend of mine happen to be coming back from working a job..that made the trip so worthwhile.

I went to Niagara falls twice, the waterfalls are wonderful.
There are no tortoises rescue where I live or I would have bought my tortoise there. It is so nice to buy tortoises to a rescue because it is like giving the tortoise a second chance. The sunset covering the montain must have been an amazing scenery.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will find a lot of interesting things here!

nature'sown

5 Year Member
jlyoncc1 said:
Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will find a lot of interesting things here!
Yes, I have already thank you and nice to meet you.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.