Hi everybody, my name is Chelsea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesktw0

5 Year Member
Purchasing a Tortoise HELP

Hello, my name is Chelsea I am currently living in North Carolina. I have done a lot of research on the Sulcata Tortise, and I have my setup ready. I would like to know if anyone can recommend a reputable breeder of Sulcata Tortises in my area or a website to visit to help me make my purchase. I have visited kingsnake.com, they have a lot of breeders of Sulcata Tortises there but I am not familiar with the companies or people who are selling them, I want a healthy baby.
Thank you in advance for your time!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Purchasing a Tortise HELP

Hello and Welcome.:) I would contact Tom. Not sure though if he has any for sale. If he does, that would be the best place to buy. If no members have any. Then I would look at the fauna classified. More people like them better then kingsnake. Also, check your local Craigslist. There are usually always sulcatas needing to be rehomed. Be sure to read the threads at the bottom of my post. They are written by Tom. All great for raising a healthy smooth sulcata.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX

Tom, Eweezyfosheezy, Dean...all reputable breeders here and there's a bunch more. I agree about using craigslist first. You can probably get a pretty good deal on one and also give one a good home that may not have been given the best home before. What about any reptile shows in your area, that would be a good place as well.

http://www.gilaproductions.com/ral/ralmain.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Chelsea and welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

cesktw0 said:
Hello, my name is Chelsea I am currently living in North Carolina. I have done a lot of research on the Sulcata Tortise, and I have my setup ready. I would like to know if anyone can recommend a reputable breeder of Sulcata Tortises in my area or a website to visit to help me make my purchase. I have visited kingsnake.com, they have a lot of breeders of Sulcata Tortises there but I am not familiar with the companies or people who are selling them, I want a healthy baby.
Thank you in advance for your time!

Hello and welcome.

STOP!

Read these threads before you proceed:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-23493.html#axzz2ARq3m7Bd
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-50968.html#axzz2ARq3m7Bd
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html#axzz2ARq3m7Bd

These three THREADS are just for a start. I'd also read the others in my signature too BEFORE YOU BUY. And do you know, I mean REALLY KNOW how big and destructive they get? Have you seen a fully grown one in person? They are a great species, but really have more in common with farm animal keeping than a typical indoor reptile pet.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota

Welcome :)

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada

Agree with Tom. Make sure you know what you're getting into when you purchase a sulcata or any tort for that matter! Welcome btw!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

Hello and welcome. And yes, I totally agree. From sulcata owners ourselves. Please know what you are getting yourself into first. We hate to hear years down the line that owners are unable to keep them anymore because they are too big, or they just don't have the room. Please be sure...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Hi! *waves* How did you happen to decide on a sulcata?

cesktw0

5 Year Member
RE: Purchasing a Tortoise HELP

Thank you all for welcoming me! I have loved tortises since I was young, my aunt gave me a desert tortise when I was seven, we were in Arizona at the time. I cared for "junior" for eleven years, then we moved to Michigan and I had to give him back to my aunt because the climate caused my friend to stay in hibernation. I now am living in North Carolina and plan to stay here or move back to Arizona. The warm climate allows me to keep a tortise again. I have had some reptiles before a large savannah montior and water monitor, so I am familiar with setups, humidity, substrates and some general husbandry. I understand that you will always learn more when caring for tortises and reptiles alike. I have been researching for a years now about all types of tortises. Thank you for the links to read, I enjoyed them. I have a 8 by 4 by 4 custom cage, I can use to house my new friend in until he gets to big then I will just convert my large shed to a heated home for my Sulcata. He will of coarse get outdoors time EVERY day. You ask why I choose a Sulcata... I personally find them gorgeous I love their color and pattern, loved the fact they tolerate human interaction and are not afraid of people. I like the fact they get large, I am attracted to large pets. They don't get as large as Aldabras, but I would not want them too. I was looking at leopard tortises also, but did not like that they seemed to be less tolerate to human interaction, they do however stay smaller than the Sulcata which is just fine, I LOVE their shells however. I am open to any opinions on other species if you have any. Thanks for your time and feedback! Chelsea

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: Purchasing a Tortoise HELP

Sounds like you have done your research. :)

cesktw0

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
After a lot of research and a lot of $ I purchased my first Leopard Tortoise. I have attached a few pics of him/her. He/she is healthy, full of energy especially after his daily soaks. He has a great appetite. I have not decided on a name yet, I like Mr Tutles, Leonardo (ninja turtle character) leo for short. My boyfriend said he looks like an Albert. What do you think? Any awesome names I can steal? So far I have REALLY enjoyed this website, everyone is so friendly, and has great advice. And I love the fact that you can post something, a not 2 minutes goes by and someone is already posting a reply for you. The site is well organized too. I feel like in the hobby of tortoises you learn something new everyday. Nice to meet you ALL!!!!
Chelsea

Attachments

• IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 14

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello Chelsea welcome to the forum :) Is that his water dish in the third pic ? I would change it it looks like he could flip over in it or is just the pic ?

cesktw0

5 Year Member
I put the rocks in it so he could climb out, all the water dishes I could find were too deep, this was the shallowest one I could find. Any suggestions on were to find a good one?

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
Hello and welcome to the tortoise forum! Your baby leopard sure is a cutie. I love leopards and sulcatas..I see one in my future sometime, when I have the reptile outbuilding ready. Well, I don't want to bore you with my dreams of herp keeping. As for name ideas..hmm..I like exotic names, they seem to fit tortoises well. Pandora, Tris, Zeke, Morocco, Magic, etc. There are TONS of good tortoise names. Oh ya- for water dishes, you can use plant pot saucers or the specially made tortoise water/food dishes by exo terra. They are lower then most dishes. Enjoy your tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.