Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennifer

5 Year Member
Hi all! I'm interested in owning a tortoise so I figured, what better place to start then on this forum! lol! I'm interested in purchsing a smaller breed that can live in the house. If I am correct...I have learned so far that the best one for me would be between a Greek, Hermans & a Russian. Any opinions on which one is best & why?! I currently own a 3 year old yellow lab (Dakota), a bearded dragon (Drago) & a cat (Gizmo). I am a huge animal lover & would probably have a farm full of them if I had the space:D All opinions are welcome & would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

~Sandy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sandy:

A heartfelt

954912n828ouknkm.gif

to the forum!!

It is my opinion that tortoises belong outside. I realize there are times when a tortoise has to be set up in the house, but this should be a temporary situation, not a permanent one. Tortoises are wild animals...that is, they haven't gone through years of man's intervention making them domesticated. And as wild animals, they do much better mentally and physically in an outdoor habitat.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the forum! All thsoe breeds are awesome...well, any tort is! Any tort can live in a house. If they can thrive in the house is another question. Most of us here would say no. Tortoises thrive outside with a lot of space and grazing. You can make it work in a house, but typically the tortoise will be longing for the outdoors, repeatedly try to get out of the enclosure, etc. What type of weather do you have where you live? Amount of space indoors and out?

Lennifer

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Welcome to the forum! All thsoe breeds are awesome...well, any tort is! Any tort can live in a house. If they can thrive in the house is another question. Most of us here would say no. Tortoises thrive outside with a lot of space and grazing. You can make it work in a house, but typically the tortoise will be longing for the outdoors, repeatedly try to get out of the enclosure, etc. What type of weather do you have where you live? Amount of space indoors and out?

Thanks every1! Honestly, I would LOVE to make an outdoor enclosure but unfortunately I am renting the house I live in. I am getting Married next year & hoping to have my own house within the next 2 years, if possible...so I am hoping that the tortoise would only be living inside with us until then. I live in Maryland so it's warm in the summer & cold & snowy in the winter. I have been searching on line & have seen some really nice turtle enclosures/tables that mimic the outdoors & I have half of a basement that we don't use. I am trying to stay with a smaller tort so that he can live comfortably in his indoor home until I am able to make him something for outside. Honestly, I am hoping we can buy the house we currently rent but my fiancé has not talked about it with the landlord yet. :( lol! So, in my situation...which tort is the better one as far as who would be easier to maintain inside for a couple years? A Hermans or a Russian? I was reading a few care sheets last night & the only thing I could find that really stood out to me between the two, is the humidity level that is needed. I believe the Hermans humidity was a bit higher than the Russian. My basement currently has a humidifier that runs constantly to keep the basement dry so maybe I should go with the Russian as they need less humidity? Sorry...I'm thinking out loud! lol! Also...the house I currently rent has a nice sized yard & the tortoise will be able to go outside & bask in the sun frequently! I plan on getting him an outdoor play pen for when I am around to keep an eye on him. Any other thoughts opinions?! Thanks again;)

~Sandy

Oops...I forgot to add the Greek tort also! I printed many things to go home & read last night, but somehow I had missed the care sheet for the Greek. So...for my situation, which is best...Hermans, Russian or Greek?! Thanks!!

~Sandy

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sandy, any of the three would make a great first tort. Iwould look into the hibernation habits of each species as your winters are cold. JMHO
Oh and Welcome to the forum.:)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Do you mean you have a dehumidifier in the basement?

In my opinion the humidity would be the same for all three. Different care sheets may have different opinions, but if I had the three I would keep them basically the same. The humidity you would want is at the substrate level. You can keep a moist but not damp substrate to provide substrate humidity, which is different then the ambient room humidity. Is your basement finished? Temperatures?

Lennifer

5 Year Member
Yes, I'm sorry...a dehumidifier is what we have in the basement! lol! The guy we rent from says that it needs to be left on to take the moisture out of the basement so it's always running. The basement is partially finished. The ceiling is open so you can see all the pipes & wood beams running through but the walls are completed with dry wall. Exactly...I have been reading the care sheets on these 3 torts & they all seem to say something diff about the humidity needed. I have a bearded dragon & was the same way at first...a big worry wart! lol! That's why I wanted to come here, so I could talk & get opinions from people who are experienced, rather than just believing a care sheet. Most care sheets are not accurate or can be misleading. Thanks so much for all the opinions & advice.

~Sandy

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If you get a reading of the ambient air in the basement that can give you an idea of what you have to work with. I assume it's a bit dampish so with the dehumidifer it probably averages like your house, so no different. I wouldn't have the tort right next to the device, but I wouldn't assume it to be a problem that wouldn't be able to be overcome. Best wishes and let us know what you have questions about.

Status
Not open for further replies.