Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizziliz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Monroe, WA, USA
Hi, my name is Liz & I live about 45 min North of Seattle WA. Between all the members of our household, we have 3 dogs, 2 sugar gliders, a hedgehog, a bearded dragon, 4 map turtles, 2 red eared slider turtles, an ornate wood turtle, and yesterday we adopted a sulcata tortoise.

I joined the forum for some help with the new sulcata... we took him on from a friend because it (not sure if boy or girl yet) didn't seem to be eating and was sluggish. Any advise would be much appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Liz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

The number one cause of sluggishness in a tortoise is from not being kept warm enough. Please read Tom's threads on how to raise healthty hatchlings and make adjustments to your habitat accordingly:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1umTey7XH

We have several sulcata-keepers who live in the PNW, so you have a nice font of knowledge to pick from. In fact, my sister has Bob, a 100+ lb sulcata and she lives in Corvallis, Oregon. She says people in Oregon don't tan, they rust. So she has some good advice for you on keeping a large tortoise in the PNW.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p

Maybe if you share a touch of info with us on how you have your tort set up ...also how old/big is your fort...if you perhaps take a pic of the underside and area of the tail some can guess for you the sex????

Apologies...I am using my dumb smart phone and it likes to change up words...please replace the word "fort" with "tort"...lol:D

tizziliz

5 Year Member
Monroe, WA, USA
Thanks guys! Well... setting as getting this tort was a completely unplanned addition, we've got it just in a tub right now while I build a turtle table set up for it. The boys (i live with my boyfriend, a roommate, & my brother... collectively 'the boys') have him out in the yard right now (& he still won't graze) since we're actually getting warm weather & sun! I well get some pics here soon & post them.

tizziliz

5 Year Member
Monroe, WA, USA
Well, I apparently can't figure out how to ads more than 1 picture while on my phone... But here's 1 picture to try to figure out gender.

Attachments

• 20120513_134839.jpg
    20120513_134839.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 8

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Probably female, and a bit older than 1 or 2 years. More like 3 or 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.