Hibernating or sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
Hi,

So Yuri, has been doing well. Recently, he's been very quiet and not very active. He would come out of his hole (hiding space) only about once every few days to look for food and he goes right away back inside. Inside, he's dug himself a hole that he goes in. When I look at him throughout the day, he's typically sleeping and in most cases doesn't move much on the course of 1-2 days. He hasn't been eating his food regularly. This only begun to happen over the past 2-4 weeks. At first I thought he was maybe just bored or tired and wanted rest, but now he is unchanged.

My first question is: Is he OK? Does he need to be seen by a vet?
Second question is: Is this typical? Is he trying to hibernate? Do they normally do this every year?

He's on an indoor enclosure right now since the temperatures here in the North are quite cold. Temps in his area are in the upper 70's on the cool side and in the upper 90's to lower 100's on the hot spot. I'm not sure what it could be. He looks fine when he comes out, he doesn't have any snot or any "drool" coming out of his face area.

I'm thinking maybe it's the UVB light? I've used this Zoo Med long light that's UVB since early April 2012 and was wondering if this could maybe cause him to feel "less active." Not sure if this light needs replacing.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Your indoor uvb bulbs should be replaced at 4-6 month intervals....what are you using as the heating element along with the long tube uvb?

What type of substrate? How old/what size is your tort? Where did you obtain your tort from? How was he housed during winter in prior years?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
How long are the lights on during the daytime? What other type of lighting (type & wattage) is being used in addition to the UV tube? He's indoors now, but was he outdoors recently and just brought inside? What are the night time temperatures in his enclosure?

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
A sick tortoise will usually be not interested in food, neither in digging burrows. OTOH, these things are typical for a Russian preparing to hibernate :). The season is also the right one. The details asked above by GB and Angela are important, if you want to kep him active or hibernate.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
Hi Guys. To answer some of these questions:

-There's a 100W heating lamp that is on about 12-14 hours a day and off every night. The UVB lump is on for those 12-14 hours as well and is also turned off at night.
-Nighttime temperatures are definitely in the mid to upper 70s.
-The substrate is Zoo Med Loose Coconut Fiber. This is about 6 inches deep if not more. I spray wet Yuri and the substrate once every 3-4 days. I also try to give him full soaks once a week for about 10-15 minutes.
-The tort is about 4.5 inches in straight carapace length. The age I'm guessing is around 5 years or so. I got him from Petco this past April.

*Today, he came out finally and appeared to be looking for food. I gave him his food and he promptly ate it. Waiting to see if he goes back in his hide or if he hangs around.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Maybe the 100W lamp is too close, and he is avoiding the excessive heat? What is the temperature of the basking spot? Try to lift it about 5 cm more, and see how Yuri will respond.
Anyway, don't worry about him, he seems a typical, healthy Russian in behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.