Sick or no?

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
This will be long, I apologize.

So the last week Clyde has been acting odd. Last Saturday the cats unplugged his heat bulb timer so the light didn't come on till hours later than normal. I also moved a few pots around in his enclosure that day. And finally on that day I gave him Mazuri food for the first time in months.

Sunday he didn't eat, still active though no biggie. Monday didn't eat, no poop, still active. Tuesday didn't eat, no poop still active. Wednesday (day two of his twice a week Mazuri rotation) he picked through his greens, ate only Mazuri still active. Thursday no poop, was down 2 grams from Saturday. In concern more Mazuri was given. He ate some of that, no greens. This morning put out greens but he seemed uninterested. He had a little dob of snot on his nose (not a bubble) which I removed. This occurred right after his bath which I've heard can happen.

Today he was active again but seemed uninterested in food. No squeaking no lethargy. I'm double checking light temps today in cause the cats did something to mess with the heat temp.

Could this all be a pout about not getting more Mazuri? Could he be sick if his only real persistent symptom is not being hungry? Not sure what to do. We are at a really tight money spot right now due to some family emergencies so unless he gets worse we are trying to avoid a vet visit. All info appreciated!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We can only go by our experience, and it may not be the correct answer to your problem, but russians and this time of year usually means brumation.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
My main fear is he is just a tiny little thing. All of 35 grams so I worry a lot.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thank you. You helped put my mind at ease. When should I be concerned? My main worry is him losing more weight

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's hard to judge 'health' by weight gain or loss. Becsuse a small tortoise is so small, just releasing poop or pee can drastically change his weight. It's a good idea to weigh the same time every time . . .like right after a good, long soak.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thank you. One last question, since he is so little should I keep offering Mazuri since he is eating it or should I keep offering greens even though he's turning his beak up at them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can soak the Mazuri until it crumbles an falls apart, then add a little more water to it so it's like slightly runny oatmeal. chop the greens into tiny bite sized pieces. Stir the Mazuri into the greens until they're all coated in Mazuri. If he eats this, then, slowly, over time, add less and less Mazuri. Don't rush it.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Ok so since he may be trying to get sick we bumped the ambient night temp to 75-77 (up from 70-73). I also extended his light hours from 13 up to 14. Brough his hot side up a few degrees as well. Tomorrow morning I'll water down and mix in Mazuri with his greens. Also picked up his favorite greens to help tempt him into eating. I'm off all day tomorrow and plan to be in his room almost the full day so I will monitor him as best as I can and hopefully we will see some improvement

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Nothing but good news to report this morning. Clyde's weight was back up so he must have eaten SOMETHING yesterday even though I didn't see it.
No new nasal discharge and checked his breathing really closely, no squeaks.
I mixed the soaked Mazuri over his greens and he immediately ate at least one Mazuri soaked leaf before stopping eating to give me the stink eye for watching. I will keep making Mazuri mash and mixing it into the greens until he is back to eating consistently then I'll wean him off it a bit at a time.