Hibernating two young Hermann's

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Zealand
Hello Everyone...
My two young 1.5 year old Hermann's are just going into wind down for hibernation in New Zealand (South Pacific).

After reading some considerable information from the form I think I have under estimated the importance of soaking torty to empty them out for hibernation. I was soaking once a week and now fear they may still have food in them. They have not eaten in nine days, and are digging into the substrate for hibernation.

They are not walking about, one is popping his head out for the day and awake, the other eyes closed and dug further in (top of shell only just visible). As they are young and small I only intend to let them hibernate for eight weeks, we have long winters and long wet cold springs. Torty size 7.7cm x 6.5cm - (3"x 2.5")

Q: Is it now to late to soak them - ?
Q: Is it ok to wake them at the end of eight weeks hibernation by placing a overhead bulb to warm gently - ?

Many thanks - Wendy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is ok to soak them at any time before hibernation. And yes about the bulb. Just be sure to not have it directly over them as they won't be able to move quickly to get away if its too hot.

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
New Zealand
It is ok to soak them at any time before hibernation. And yes about the bulb. Just be sure to not have it directly over them as they won't be able to move quickly to get away if its too hot.
Great - Thank you
Off to warm up the water....

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
New Zealand
So pleased I aske if I could soak the torts in wind down.
Two big poo poo's in the bath water :oops:

Many thanks