U.K. Owners hibernating

jod

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham
What month do you plan to hibernate your tortoises?
And for how long?

Frankie and terri were 1 1/2 last winter and were hibernated for 7 weeks. I weighed them every week and the 7th week their weight had dropped 10g in total over their hibernation to 35g. So I woke them up earlier than I planned.

Huw

Liverpool
Hi.

Ive decided that i wont Hibernate my little Monty.

Ive not read anything to convince me thats its worth the risk.

Id like to hear your reasons for doing so

jod

Birmingham
I didn't when I first got them as their weight wasn't over the recommended weight for hibernation according to the Jackson scale. The second winter, they were a good weight and no signs of illness. They were not fed for 2 weeks and the heat turned off so they slowed down. Then hibernated using a box in a shoe box.
I think if they hibernate in nature then it should be followed as much as we can. It is scary the first time but it is what tortoises do.
It is healthy for them and gives them a greater lifespan. They are not supposed to be eating 365 days year.

Huw

Liverpool
Hi. And thanks.
Im not a fan of the argument that if they do it in the wild they should do it in captivity.
Monty is a captive Torty and his life is very different to that of a wild tortoise.
Wild tortoises have to hibernate to survive.
At home i can regulate Monty's living conditions and food supply.

But this about not being healthy to eat all year round and hibernating being healthier is something i must look into.

Any idea where i could find out more about that?

jod

Birmingham
The tortoise trust have many fact sheets regarding tortoises. I also read the tortoise table, tortoise lady and tortoise protection group

Huw

Liverpool
Having done loads of reading about Hibernation I am officially none the wiser!
Reading such passionate, but conflicting, reasoning has given me a headache.

ColinS

Manchester
Me too. Non the wiser Read and read and read. And still can’t seem to get. A straight answer. Mine is defo slowing down now. Hardly eating. Kept on a table 6x2.5 in a upstairs bedroom (kids room) so drops no less than I’m pretty sure is 11 degrees. Any ideas?

Reactions: Huw

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It depends on where you live. Here in Kent, I would be looking to do it late October or early November depending on the weather. Further north it might be earlier.

Some years Joe has been up until early December.

I use http://www.accuweather.com to check the forecast going forward and look for temperatures steadily below 10C day and night

Huw

Liverpool
Glad im not the only one Colin!
If anything Monty is getting more active. He certainly has started humping everything.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Kept indoors, torts still react to the shortening days and your house will be cooler too. Hence they slow right down. If you don't want to hibernate, you need to double check those temperatures and make sure that the lighting is bright enough. You may need a fluorescent tube or similar to supply extra light and help kid your tort that it is still summer.

For the outdoor living torts, see this thread on how I manage Joe
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

And as for Monty, @Huw, I am afraid the humping phase continues for many years and doesn't seem to be season dependent. :D

Huw

Liverpool
Ha! Thanks JM! We are well warned at least. Monty is still our little cutie

ColinS

Manchester
yes I will double check the temps. But I’m pretty certain on these temps! Think I’m goin to add another light. The house temps have definitely dropped with the change in weather etc... should I still be offering food and bathing tho? Or will it sort itself out as to feeding wise slowing down to hibernate?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I’m in Manchester by the way!!
A bit cooler and wetter than me in Kent. I grew up near Leeds, so I know the problems!

Daily soaks are essential when appetite is depressed. You will find that food uptake does decrease, but it should be offered.

If you are intending to hibernate then you should drop to soaks only and no food at all in the fortnight before your chosen hibernation day.

It is very important to keep an eye on your tort's weight. Weigh weekly at roughly the same time of day each time for consistency. I like to do it straight after the soak... again for consistency as the tort inevitably poops in the soak water

ColinS

Manchester
Thanks for the help but I am in 2 minds! Not sure the temps are cold enough to hibernate as of yet but maybe low enough to slow my tortoise down! And start preparing for hibernation. If I go against the idea I need to slightly raise the temps and daylight hours??

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks for the help but I am in 2 minds! Not sure the temps are cold enough to hibernate as of yet but maybe low enough to slow my tortoise down! And start preparing for hibernation. If I go against the idea I need to slightly raise the temps and daylight hours??
Looking at the forecast going forward for Manchester, it looks like Bonfire Night (November 5) would be good. So the wind-down proper should start from 2 weeks before that. That means you only have a week to go before it becomes nil by mouth so I wouldn't worry too much - offer food and if it's taken then that's fine.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/manchester/m15-6/november-weather/329260?monyr=11/1/2017

Once the wind-down starts, you do daily 30 minute soaks, but the basking lamp can go off. Just leave the UVB if it's separate. If it isn't then don't worry... Your tort will be fine.

If you are hibernating your tortoise, it needs to be kept ideally at a steady 5C... not above 10C or below zero. The location must be dry and safe from rodents. Beware of sudden warm snaps. You need to find a place which will stay cool whatever.

ColinS

Manchester
You make it sound easy . Well it’s ate a little kale today and is more active than it’s been for a week or 2 !! Believe it or not it’s now outside for an hour or 2 as the suns out and it has a outside enclosure with cool frames so it’s headed straight for that and is now eating natural grown tortoise food

ColinS

Manchester
It mostly has a soak every other day. With added vitamins an then we rinse it. It’s very healthy and a great colour Think it’s a female. So if I get hibernating right it should be fine. Il stop feeding it as of the date you said and gonna look for an incubator type of machine to keep it steady!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe would be out 24/7 until he hibernates and since we have had him since 1970 we know the routine.

Sadly, Joe had to be put to sleep earlier this year after a massive tumour was discovered. It feels most strange not going through the paces here after so long.

I wrote for TFO about keeping torts outside in the UK in this sticky thread and cover hibernation in it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/