hibernating new yearlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I have a couple of yearling hermanns that I purchased this year which I keep in an outdoor enclosure on our condo patio. I was told by the breeder that they have already hibernated the previous year.

from my research, as a new tortoise owner and with newly acquired tortoises, I should not consider hibernation this year. however, these little guys already hibernated on their own before. so why not continue the process?

will it be too dangerous to hibernate them this year? I was thinking of making a hibernation box out of a tub with substrate and transferring the tortoises once they appear to be in the process of it. (the outdoor enclosure is not deep enough for the tortoise to burrow and let itself move up and down to regulate its temperature while hibernating).

it should also be noted that I live is southern california and the breeder I purchased from resides here as well. also I was told to expect the hermanns to begin hibernation around October or November. if that's the case then how long will they hibernate for? I've read that it ranges from 3-5 months but also the tortoise's size can affect the length of time it can safely hibernate.

so basically hibernate or overwinter based on the background and info I provided.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I wouldn't hibernate them. They seem a little young plus you get to see them more!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have 3 rules for hibernation, one don't hibernate sick animals, dos don't hibernate new animals, three don't hibernate under 4 years old. The last one is just my personal rule it has no basis for actually being a rule. Now if you feel comfortable doing so and they have already done so then feel free . But personally I always get a little concerned when I hibernate new animals.

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
thanks for the replies. I couldn't really find much info on the subject which is why I had to ask but I did some more digging... spent all night here at my job looking for old threads and found some great info. most of which matches up to both your replies and then some. thus, I have decided to overwinter my yearlings.

thanks again!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I, myself, have one rule about brumating (they really don't hibernate) tortoises, based on nearly 40 years of tortoise keeping: DON'T...period!

No reason to do so, medically, and several reasons not to do so.

Just my $.02 worth.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
In So Cal it's even warmer than in the warmest Hermanni location, so you could let them be. Not cold enough for proper brumation/hibernation, so they will hide and emerge according to the weather, and the fact they were born and raised in largely the same location is a plus.
The "scary" hibernation should be left for beginners in real winter areas, because it can be confusing for them: fridge? wind-down? natural? etc. It is the fear about having them at few degrees above freezing for months- wich is not the case at your place.
You won't have to worry about, and keeping the tortoises indoors when it can be very fine weather outdoor except a few cold snaps or prolonged rains=> flood... it's not worthy. Just keep an eye on them and learn how they live and behave according to the weather. I really doubt that they could enter a true hibernation there. I would bet that at least 1/3 of the time they will be quite active, 1/3 sleepy in their hide, and 1/3 so-so...

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
CactusVinnie said:
In So Cal it's even warmer than in the warmest Hermanni location, so you could let them be. Not cold enough for proper brumation/hibernation, so they will hide and emerge according to the weather, and the fact they were born and raised in largely the same location is a plus.
The "scary" hibernation should be left for beginners in real winter areas, because it can be confusing for them: fridge? wind-down? natural? etc. It is the fear about having them at few degrees above freezing for months- wich is not the case at your place.
You won't have to worry about, and keeping the tortoises indoors when it can be very fine weather outdoor except a few cold snaps or prolonged rains=> flood... it's not worthy. Just keep an eye on them and learn how they live and behave according to the weather. I really doubt that they could enter a true hibernation there. I would bet that at least 1/3 of the time they will be quite active, 1/3 sleepy in their hide, and 1/3 so-so...

hmm that is some very interesting points you have there. I will definitely keep those in mind. thanks for your input. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.