Hibernating Hermann's

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordomclagan

5 Year Member
Hi
My daughters Hermann's tortoise (Squirt) has been hibernating for about 4 weeks now. He has been checked regularly tonight we found that he'd pooped. Should we bring him out off hibernation? I know that if he urinated that he has to come out off hibernation. This is first time we've hibernated him he's 3 years old we are using an Exo terra incubator set at 5 degrees Celsius. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Gordomclagan!

I'm sorry, but I've never heard that you need to wake up a brumating tortoise if it urinates (or poops). My tortoises all stop eating at least 2 weeks prior to going to sleep, so there isn't any pooping or peeing going on during brumation.

So this incubator you're talking about. It has the capabilities to cool as well as heat? Are you sure that the temp is as you think it is?

My gut instinct is to make sure the temp is where you want it and leave the tortoise alone. But really this decision would be up to you. If you think there is something wrong, by all means, get the tortoise up.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
You could give him a warm soak to get anything else out of his system and then put him back down to hibernate.

gordomclagan

5 Year Member
Unit cools as well as heats We have a temperature display on front as well as a good quality thermometer inside the unit temp inside is 5 degrees 5.5 on outside display. Before we hibernated him we did a lot off research and followed empty gut full bladder mantra. Have read that if a tortoise urinates during hibernation this can be a sign off dehydration and should be brought out off hibernation have read this on many trust worthy websites and in books but can't find anything about bowel movements.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No Hermanns here, however there are 4 brumating CDTs ....one or two of them have left a nugget or two in prior brumation----but that usually happened in the onset of brumation....and all turned out aok...:D

I would not wake up a brumating tort due to a poo (or even a small piddle-however, I would change out the soiled material back to a fresh/dry towel)....I am not too worried about this type of thing, primarily because I know that the torts here have hydrated well all seasons leading to brumation also, I am a bit old school with some things...I believe in peeking in on them from time to time along with a foot tickle to hear their breathing is all good as a normal practice...

Always always always, if your gut says to wake them--then do it.

gordomclagan

5 Year Member
Thanks ascot we did change out the bedding material and placed him back into hibernation as after a long night on here and google everything points to not really a problem.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.