Hibernation UK

AgathaandOlive

Location (City and/or State)
Newport Pagnell, England
Hello,
This will be my first time hibernating my two tortoises, they've been hibernated by their previous owner but I do not know what method was used.
They have spent the last week or so solely indoors due to lots of rain but do usually go out during the day. They currently have a mercury vapour lamp over their tortoise table during daylight hours and eat lambs lettuce mostly.
When should I start preparing them for hibernation and how do I do this based on their current living situation? I have read that I need remove food from their diet in the weeks before they hibernate and to soak them so that they hydrate.
I was thinking of using a fridge but this would be inside a converted garage which means I can control the heating or I can opt for the box method in my shed, which would be best?
There's so much info online I'm finding it overwhelming. I don't know their ages but Agatha and Olive are fully grown adults and fairly old.
Thanks
Siân

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi, my tort isn't a hibernating species so I've no experience of this to advise you on how to do it, but I've seen it recommended that you don't hibernate torts the first winter you have them so that you can make sure they're healthy, because it's not without its risks. Some UK tort sanctuaries and associations have vets along to do free health checks before hibernation too.

Many people use fridges because with climate change and fluctuating temps over winter its a good way to make sure the temps are controlled so they don't wake up too early. I know it's a gradual process and they have to have an empty gut or food could rot in them and kill them, but you'll need to read the threads about hibernation to find out more. Hopefully members who do this every winter will be be along soon.

What species are they? I'm guessing they are a Mediterranean so this is the caresheet you need
From a few things you've said I think you may have been given some old information but a lot more is known about tort care now so that is the most up to date advice you'll find anywhere that will help your torts live happy healthy lives.
Lambs lettuce is a good food but they do need more variety - www.thetortisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe food.
Do you keep them together? If so have you noticed one tort seems more dominant than the other?