Hibernating marginateds

Rkatiec

Hi everyone! I have two marginated tortoises who I am just putting into hibernation. As you can imagine I'm a little nervous! They are 4 years old but this is the first time they have hibernated as they are now kept outside in the summer. In using the fridge method and have been starving them for four weeks before hibernation. I know they mustn't lose more than 1% of their body weight during hibernation but do you know how much weight they should lose in the starvation period before hibernation? Any advice would be welcome!

Rkatiec

Hiya, yep they had very regular soaks and constant access to water...

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! When my Greek tort decides to hibernate, I make sure its stomach is virtually empty and put its enclosure in a room alone. I don't know whether or not this would apply on your tortoise.

Rkatiec

Hi there thanks for your reply. I have done exactly that. I just want to check how much weight they should have lost during the hibernation preparation period when you make sure their tummy's are empty? Do you know? Thank you!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi there thanks for your reply. I have done exactly that. I just want to check how much weight they should have lost during the hibernation preparation period when you make sure their tummy's are empty? Do you know? Thank you!
Hello. Very sorry, I'm afraid I don't know but....
1) you could get an answer from members of the forum who've more experience with torts than I do.
2) so far things went well when my tort hibernated.
Good luck anyways.