Hibernation advice needed - UK

ace123

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello, looking for some advice from others with tortoises and opinions on whether what I am doing is best for my tortoise. Location is UK.

He is 15+ years old and hibernates every year, each year after hes wind down we put him in a cardboard box with some newspaper and leaves and put him in our garage - it is very cold in there and he has always slept well and woken up appearing healthy.

This year he is not settling, I hear some noise coming from the box every couple days or so. Despite it feeling pretty cold in there, it is not as cold as usually for this time of year. It has been about three weeks since he first went to hibernate, and today he was awake - I checked on him and his eyes were open and he was moving.

Panicking I've decided to give him a bath in a cold bit of my house to make sure he is still hydrated. I plan on letting him fall asleep in this cold area of my house tonight, and when it's cooler at night move him into another box with soil and put him in my spare fridge - hoping he will settle there.

Opinions? Does this sound like a reasonable thing to do? Many thanks :)