Hibernation for Hermans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeluxy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Everyone

I have a large Hermans Tortoise which up untill now has been looked after by my elderly Parents.

This is my first year of looking after the Tortoise.

My Tort is approx 40 years old and has been in Hibernation since late October/November last.

Dad has used the same method for Hibernation for him for the past 35 odd years and its always worked fine.

He has been kept in the same wooden Box for Hibernation each winter over the past few Decades (!) in a cool outbuilding.

I did a quick check on him yesterday (The Tortoise!!) and felt resistance when I pushed against his leg in his Hibernation Box :)

My question is Do you think it is still too early to wake him up ...?...I was thinking of perhaps Bringing his Box into our warm Conservatory so he could come out in his own time.

Any help/suggestions much appreciated

My Location is in the Southern part of the UK and we are still having quite cold weather here....

Thanks

Mike

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Mike,
It would be just fine to wake him up now. You will though need to set him up in an enclosure inside the house or conservatory until it warms up outside.

Danny

mikeluxy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi Mike,
It would be just fine to wake him up now. You will though need to set him up in an enclosure inside the house or conservatory until it warms up outside.

Danny

Thanks for the info Danny

Can you just give me a little more info as to the procedure I should use for this....Im very green on all this!!..I have just been out to check on him and sure enough his leg moved again when I pressed it (as if in annoyance )

Shall I just bring his box into our warm living room and wait for him to come out himself or should I physically remove him and place him under a heat lamp.

Also should I start feeding him straight way and/or wash his eyes out etc etc..

I want to make sure i do the "Right thing" so any info would be appreciated

Any advice greatfully recieved

Mike

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Mike

I think its best to let the tortoise gradually awaken by bringing the box into a typical room temperature and wait for a few hours. When the tort seems to be awake I would then remove from the box, but I would not place him under a heat source to begin with.

After a while I sugest a nice slightly warm / tepid bath and let him soak for a half hour or so. Rehydration is very important after hibernation and so is the expelling of accumulated toxins. The tortoise will probably empty out into the water all his wastes and its best to change the water and let him soak / drink in fresh. Water is more important than food in the first few hours but by all means offer some.

Congratulations you have a vey precious animal that has adpated sucessfully to an alien climate!

mikeluxy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ozric said:
Hi Mike

I think its best to let the tortoise gradually awaken by bringing the box into a typical room temperature and wait for a few hours. When the tort seems to be awake I would then remove from the box, but I would not place him under a heat source to begin with.

After a while I sugest a nice slightly warm / tepid bath and let him soak for a half hour or so. Rehydration is very important after hibernation and so is the expelling of accumulated toxins. The tortoise will probably empty out into the water all his wastes and its best to change the water and let him soak / drink in fresh. Water is more important than food in the first few hours but by all means offer some.

Congratulations you have a vey precious animal that has adpated sucessfully to an alien climate!

Thanks for your help on this...much appreciated.

Well he is now out of his Box and Busy Marching around the Conservatory!!

My only concern is that he has only so far eaten a small amount of Pear and not much else!

That said he seems to have Boundless energy and is showing no sign of Sluggishness/Bright eyes etc etc.

Should I be concerned as yet that he has not eaten a great deal...?

Mike

PS Any ideas for any other foods that might tempt him...?....He has always been a Big pear fan!! :p

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Mike

To be honest most keepers now think that Hermanns should not really get fruit! However this tortoise has done well over a long period of time and the poeple looking after him have obviously got lots of things right and its not for me to criticise. If you did want to change his diet you might need advice from someone who knows more than me because he may have acquired tastes.

What I feed mine on is 90% weeds esp. dandellion, plantain weed, cats ear, vetches, clover, hawkweeds, bindweed. Stuff from shops that is generally reckoned to be OK includes endive, raddicio, lambs lettuce, frisee, watercress, a little grated carrot from time to time. This is small sample of what they can have. Its best to avoid cabbage, head lettuces and broccoli. In the UK lots use Floretti Crispy Salad which has suitable contents. I only do this when there are no weeds to be had.

There would be no harm in offering dandellions and these are an excellent Hermann food, plus in the UK they exist in every garden. So I'd suggest some of those and see how they go down.

Hope thsi helps a bit, and others also should add in............

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Mike,
Jonathon has given you some great advise on foods. If your having trouble getting him to eat his greens, you can mix a bit of pear in with the greens and weeds. Slowly use less and less pear until your not using any.
Do you have a basking light for him to warm up under?

Danny

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Welcome to TFO, Mike.
a 40 year old Hermanns?! I'd love to see some pics of your tortoise...
You've been well advised regarding food. do make sure you set him up properly.
you'll find tons of info on that in this forum.
cheers,
T

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't know much about hermanns, but I know when my russians came out of hibernation they did not eat for a few days. Make sure he is warm and has water and I am sure he will eat soon. Good Luck and post some pics we would love to see him.

mikeluxy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
I don't know much about hermanns, but I know when my russians came out of hibernation they did not eat for a few days. Make sure he is warm and has water and I am sure he will eat soon. Good Luck and post some pics we would love to see him.

Thanks for your help everyone.....Nice to be in contact with so many Tortoise fans who share my enthusiasm.

Here are 2 photos taken last Summer....Please note that the Mark on his back is a remnant from over 30 years ago when Dad decided to Paint our Phone Number on his back....I know this is frowned upon nowadays (including by myself!) but whats done is done...The Good news is that its now nearly all worn away!...I should add that lead free paint was used and it does not seem to have done any harm.

Any ideas on how to remove the remnants would be much appreciated.

He often went AWOL at dads house and it did return him to us on more than one occasion!!

He is now kept in a secure enclosure!!

Best

Mike

Attachments

• S5001745.JPG
    S5001745.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 39
  • S5001677.JPG
    S5001677.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 44

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He looks great Mike :D

A bit of acetone on a rag in a well ventilated area and some gentle rubbing will get all the paint off.

Danny

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Mike thanks for putting those pics up - great to see him! Now we know who you have been telling us about. Its a nice story of tortoise survival as so many of them from that era did not fare so well in the UK

Jonathan

mikeluxy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yes...Have to agree...I recall back in the late 60s seeing Tortoises in Practically Every Pet shop Window...Of course at that time (as a kid) I was totally unaware of the Horrific conditions these creatures were shipped over to the UK in (Stacked in wooden crates apparently)

As you say I think I have a lucky Tortoise here...No doubt he could tell a few tales if he could talk!

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
wot a great lookin Tort.. good luck in u takin over his care Mike. some great advice offered ere.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.