hibernation help

Cali~jenn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My torts are 2 years old and finally enjoyed the outdoors over summer in an enclosure my husband built for them. They have never hibernated before since they were little and living inside but now that they r outdoors they will. It can get pretty cold here and snow a couple times a winter so I had thought I could just bring them in but not sure we keep the house cold enough after reading up on it. what exactly do I need to do for my babies?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My torts are 2 years old and finally enjoyed the outdoors over summer in an enclosure my husband built for them. They have never hibernated before since they were little and living inside but now that they r outdoors they will. It can get pretty cold here and snow a couple times a winter so I had thought I could just bring them in but not sure we keep the house cold enough after reading up on it. what exactly do I need to do for my babies?

First, you have to decide if you want to hibernate them or not. You don't have to do it. You can keep them up and active in a heated indoor enclosure for winter. During our warmer, sunny winer days, they can even run around in their outdoor enclosure.

If you do want to hibernate them, you'll need a dedicated fridge to keep temps cold enough and stable. Its a whole process to get them ready for hibernation and bringing them out in spring. If you want to do it, I'll link to to a thread that explains the whole process.

Cali~jenn

5 Year Member
Southern California
First, you have to decide if you want to hibernate them or not. You don't have to do it. You can keep them up and active in a heated indoor enclosure for winter. During our warmer, sunny winer days, they can even run around in their outdoor enclosure.

If you do want to hibernate them, you'll need a dedicated fridge to keep temps cold enough and stable. Its a whole process to get them ready for hibernation and bringing them out in spring. If you want to do it, I'll link to to a thread that explains the whole process.
Wow. I had planned on hibernating them. Guess i need to read the thread and then decide. (I just loaned out their old enclosure since i thought they were done with it. )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. I had planned on hibernating them. Guess i need to read the thread and then decide. (I just loaned out their old enclosure since i thought they were done with it. )

Hibernation is not required and it does no harm if you skip it.

Personally, I prefer to hibernate them, but no one should feel like they have to.

Here is that thread. I think I spell it all out in post number 19:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/looking-for-an-rt-hibernation-mentor.128790/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Even though you live in SoCal, probably near the desert tortoise's native area, I just don't think it's safe to allow them to hibernate in the ground, or any place outside.

I prefer to box them up and store the box in a rodent-free area. . . a place that stays below 50F, but above 40F.

I place a whole Sunday newspaper, all the sections (folded in half), in the bottom of a cardboard box. Then I place the tortoise, and then I tear strips of newspaper and fill the box with strips of newspaper. Fold over and interlock the lid tabs of the box then place it in a cool, quiet, dark and safe place.

Some people get the tortoise up occasionally to soak and check them. I don't bother them, leaving them alone all winter. In February I start listening to the box. Once I hear scratching and movement, I get them up, give them a good soak, and if all danger of frost is past, I put them back out in their yard. If it is going to rain, I block the door to their shelter so they can't come out. And I make sure they are inside the shelter at night, and I block the door to keep hem safe. There's no need to provide heat on cold days, as they are still acclimated to being cold.