Hibernation Help

BelleIce23

Location (City and/or State)
Massachussets
I have a 2 year old Ornate Box Turtle who has apparently gone into hibernation. It stopped eating and seemed to only want to burrow. It is an indoor turtle as I live in MA where it is way too cold to stay outdoors. I allowed him? (Not gendered) to stay inside it’s burrow and only took him out to drink every 2 weeks. He came out of his burrow mid December and wanted to eat, but wouldn’t touch fresh food. When he ate worms/crickets however, he seemed very weak. I tried giving him a veggie soak and then giving him food, but he refused and went back to his burrow. I have since left him alone and it is now February. Should I be concerned? He is still alive, at least. When should he come out of hibernation and get back to his normal self? He is my first Box Turtle, so I’m a bit inexperienced.

Sa Ga

MN
I have a 2 year old Ornate Box Turtle who has apparently gone into hibernation. It stopped eating and seemed to only want to burrow. It is an indoor turtle as I live in MA where it is way too cold to stay outdoors. I allowed him? (Not gendered) to stay inside it’s burrow and only took him out to drink every 2 weeks. He came out of his burrow mid December and wanted to eat, but wouldn’t touch fresh food. When he ate worms/crickets however, he seemed very weak. I tried giving him a veggie soak and then giving him food, but he refused and went back to his burrow. I have since left him alone and it is now February. Should I be concerned? He is still alive, at least. When should he come out of hibernation and get back to his normal self? He is my first Box Turtle, so I’m a bit inexperienced.
At what point does an owner have to worry about food rotting in the gut and killing their tort? Is it ok for them to wake up, go back to sleep, wake up again...etc.?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
unless you've got the turtle in a fridge or a location where the temps are around 40 degrees , they are not hibernating ..... they do not eat until they are done hibernating for the season ..... what you describe doesn't sound normal ...... if they eat after hibernating for any period of time they shouldn't be hibernated again until the next season , at least that's my opinion ........