Russian tort, sick or hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
My russia, I've had him going on year two, hes been sleeping alot and moving very slowly, and also wont eat, he seemed healthy up to this my question is, is this hibernation or is he sick, thank you

gtiljen

5 Year Member
If the eyes are clear and you don't hear any wheezing or see a runny nose I'd think you are just fine. Alot of things help when posting on forums concerning a sick tortoise. Providing your tortoises living conditions temps etc helps alot. I'm not familiar with the russian species but try here:

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

Nikolai13 said:
My russia, I've had him going on year two, hes been sleeping alot and moving very slowly, and also wont eat, he seemed healthy up to this my question is, is this hibernation or is he sick, thank you

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Ohio
gtiljen said:
If the eyes are clear and you don't hear any wheezing or see a runny nose I'd think you are just fine. Alot of things help when posting on forums concerning a sick tortoise. Providing your tortoises living conditions temps etc helps alot. I'm not familiar with the russian species but try here:

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

Nikolai13 said:

So if his eyes and nose are fine, he's healthy witch means its probably hibernation

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Nikolai13 said:

Hibernation (brumation) only takes place when there is a steady decrease in temperatures and light intensity & duration. So if the tortoises exposure to temperature and light is at normal activity levels then there is likely another issue.
What are the temperatures; day, night and basking? What type of lighting are you using and how many hours a day are they on? What is the ambient humidity?

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Ohio
ascott said:
May we see a picture of your tort please? (showing his face and also his legs)....:D

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377308416.107400.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1377308453.194964.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1377308475.564421.jpg

Here they are sorry it took so long, he just got out of the bath in these pictures, and on his front leg thats not a cut, just a little dirt, thanks

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1377308433.144868.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1377308433.144868.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
a little early for that... unless the temps have changed and kept dark... does he feel heavy? good weight?

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Ohio
Laura said:
a little early for that... unless the temps have changed and kept dark... does he feel heavy? good weight?

He feels like a healthy weight, but he wont eat, sleeps alot, and doesn't show signs of sickness, another thing that concerns me is that he barley resists when a check his legs, there almost limp :,(

Status
Not open for further replies.