Russian tort not eating

spoilers

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Ohio
So two days ago my russian seemed perfectly fine like always, but I did notice since I put him in his outdoor enclosure for the summer that he was sleeping more often. yesterday he didn't really want to eat but he slowly did and today he shows interest in his food but won't eat it. His outdoor enclosure does have tort friendly plants for him to eat in it so maybe he just isn't hungry, but I've never seen him refuse a dandelion, does anyone know what could be wrong with him?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
outside? What are the temperatures like in your area?

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
Right now they are hitting the low 90s during the day and low 70s at night. But I make sure he has plenty of shade and water.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Perhaps he is grazing on his own, and is not hungry when you try to feed?

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
That's what I was thinking but like I said it isn't like him to not want a dandelion. They don't grow in his enclosure so I treat him with pesticide free dandelions occasionally (they are his favorite)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So two days ago my russian seemed perfectly fine like always, but I did notice since I put him in his outdoor enclosure for the summer that he was sleeping more often. yesterday he didn't really want to eat but he slowly did and today he shows interest in his food but won't eat it. His outdoor enclosure does have tort friendly plants for him to eat in it so maybe he just isn't hungry, but I've never seen him refuse a dandelion, does anyone know what could be wrong with him?

How long have you had him? Torts do not like change and take long to adapt. Could that be the case? :rolleyes: (Guessing here).

Please post a pic of your tort.

And a very warm welcome to the forum. :D

GingerLove

5 Year Member
What have you fed him before he stopped eating?
Sometimes my tortoise won't eat because she gets stupid all of the sudden and can't find the food. Have you tried hand feeding him? If he still won't eat... I'd recommend giving him a soak. Soaking always seems to wake up a tort and get them acting normal again.
And I have to ask... in the picture you posted... his mouth is open, right? My screen is kind of weird and I can't tell if something's wrong with his mouth or if it is simply open in the photo.
I hope your little guy starts eating soon.:<3::tort:

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
Like I said, he has tort friendly plants in his outdoor enclosure like clovers and plantain so he mostly grazes in the summer, but I treat him every few days as well by hand. I soaked him today but he still hasn't eaten. And in the pick you see his mouth open at rest, my stupid vet went a little overboard on his Beak trimming, that was over a year ago though and hasn't it grown back yet. But his beak has never bothered him.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I've had him for 2 years now.
So sweet! :<3:

In that case, he must have got used to you, the environment etc.

What is the weather like back there? Torts tend to lose appetite in Winter, and I for one have noticed that Oli :<3: does not eat that much when it is cold.:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...also, they need their top and bottom beak to meet in order to be able to bite the food. Until (or if) it grows back, you'll need to cut up the food into bite-sized pieces. I really doubt he'll be able to graze with his beak like that.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I have a rescue 3 toed whose beak was ripped off on the top. He eats fine with just the bottom.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Doesn't that annoy him? if I may ask.
It doesn't seem to. We got him because his beak got caught on something (was grossly overgrown) and was barely hanging on. It was removed. He ate fine since we got him. He uses his claws more than the others, but doesn't seem to have any problems. He is a big, heavy, happy boy.

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
He can graze I've watched him, he has trouble but he works through it by using his arms to hold down his food and his top beak to bite it off. Plus I always cut up his food when I treat him.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It doesn't seem to. We got him because his beak got caught on something (was grossly overgrown) and was barely hanging on. It was removed. He ate fine since we got him. He uses his claws more than the others, but doesn't seem to have any problems. He is a big, heavy, happy boy.
Great. Glad to hear that.