Hibernation Protocol

Amie.M

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi everyone
I’ve had my Russian tortoise since 2019 and have so far always overwintered him. This year I plan to hibernate him, I’m considering the box method in our garage. (UK)
He’s had a really active summer, mainly outdoors and has been eating well and his weight stable.
He has gradually slowed down on eating over the last couple of weeks so I’ve stopped feeding him now.
He is currently in his indoor tortoise table, the room is quite cold as it’s a conservatory and the radiator is broken! But he has his heat lamp and UV. The basking temp is still getting up to 33,34C the warm side is 23-25C and the cold part is16-18. There is no heat at night so it is getting to about 12C
How do I go about reducing temperature gradually and how often should he be soaked and over what time period?
Thanks in advance 😊

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! I don't know if you have seen this post about tortoise brumation (link). If not, then it's the great reading to get started with brumation.

Amie.M

UK
Hello! I don't know if you have seen this post about tortoise brumation (link). If not, then it's the great reading to get started with brumation.
Hi thank you for sharing the link I knew I’d seen this a while back, but couldn’t work out how to find it. And apologies for reposting your reply 3 times 🙈 my phone was playing up