Hibernation Question

EveM5

Location (City and/or State)
Midlands, England
Hello everyone,

I’ve recently taken over the care of my grandma’s three tortoises, and have a quick question regarding hibernation bedding.
Our tortoises are aged between 50-80 years, how ‘set in their ways’ are they in terms of bedding variety? Straw and newspaper has been used up to this point, but we’re looking at aspen bedding and straw pellets.
In everyone’s experience, is it wise to change how they hibernate or is it unlikely they’ll notice a difference.

thanks for any help you can offer!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If they've been doing it for 80 years, I wouldn't change what they are used to.

Boyu

Barcelona
Hello everyone,

I’ve recently taken over the care of my grandma’s three tortoises, and have a quick question regarding hibernation bedding.
Our tortoises are aged between 50-80 years, how ‘set in their ways’ are they in terms of bedding variety? Straw and newspaper has been used up to this point, but we’re looking at aspen bedding and straw pellets.
In everyone’s experience, is it wise to change how they hibernate or is it unlikely they’ll notice a difference.

thanks for any help you can offer!
u can use cocofiber or a VERY good soil quality

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
u can use cocofiber or a VERY good soil quality
Coco fiber should be fine. I would not use soil. Soil is made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what its made of. Could be something toxic or irritating.