Hibernation Questions

Ryan92

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Wirral
Hey,

Im new to this forum, but have viewed it on and off since I got Little Theo 3 years ago.

Hibernation... how do I go about it. Theres so many theories out there, I'm confused and quite scared as I don't want anything to go wrong.

Went to the vet in the week to get his nails trimmed and the vet suggested doing it at the end of the month for a couple of weeks. Only problem is as the weather on the Wirral (where I live) / UK has dropped - I'm assuming this is why Theo has slowed down and started to burrow more in his home. He has also stopped eating and drinking as much as he normally does. Is this weather related - or is this Theo wanting to hibernate?

Started to increase the baths/soaks to daily to try and get him to poo/wee.

Just fed him some of the dandelion flavoured pellets this morning, which is the first time he's properly eaten since about 3 days ago. So thats a bit promising. IMG_2319.JPG

Ryan92

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Wirral
This is his house. there is no longer a lid, the dual uv/heat bulb is lower in the viv - just a bit higher than the top of the side airvent if that makes sense. the substrate is currently coco coir and is filled up the stop gap by the door. (Excuse the xmas decorations haha)IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1882.JPG

Nice terrarium.
This is his house. there is no longer a lid, the dual uv/heat bulb is lower in the viv - just a bit higher than the top of the side airvent if that makes sense. the substrate is currently coco coir and is filled up the stop gap by the door. (Excuse the xmas decorations haha)View attachment 220350 View attachment 220350
Many tortoises are slowing down mine slept the whole day yesterday. Everything should be fine but you are keeping him a bit dry add some humidity to his cage. Also about the hibernation give your tortoise a few soaks he should become more active.