Hibernation time?

Supermau

Ok, so my 3 year old horsefield tortoise might be going into full out hibernation mode on me, but it's wierd. He hasn't been eating for a while, he scratches his enclosure a lot, and when I let him roam, he finds the tiniest spot and falls asleep until I put him back in, and he wakes up (no matter how slow I move). I think he might be going in hibernation also because he is not eating his lettuce like he usually does :(. I have read about a box and fridge method, but could anyone tell me step by step what I should do. (i don't have a garden FYI)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You allow the tortoise to clean out his digestive tract for about two weeks. During this time, you keep him warm but not hot. Shorten the time that his lights are on. After two weeks, give him a good soak in warm water for about 15 minutes, dry him well then pack him in a cardboard box full of shredded newspaper. Place the box in a cool, dark place where he won't be disturbed. You want it to be less than 50F but not less than 40F, a constant temperature with minimal fluctuation.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
He may indeed wish to hibernate. Good for you for recognizing that letting him do it without intervention indoors is unsafe and inappropriate.

My crew of turtles & tortoises and plants and fish all perk up in February as the days get longer. You may want to try a last ditch effort to improve his diet and environment before you try hibernating as per Yvonne's directions, but it sounds like you're ready