hibernation went horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
went to go weigh my boxes for their monthly weigh.. both lost alot of weight, and male has mucas comeing from nose... just moved to mississippi and there are no reptile vets around.. need help fast.. where can i buy the antibotics to fight a RI, and if i cant get them to eat how can i get vitamins in them .. i soaked them and both drank alot..is there any hope??

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
RE: hibranation went horrible

Joe woke up like this last year. The first time ever he's been ill in long life. It's terrifying. Keep them warm, soak them twice daily. Don't expect much eating until the RI is clear.

I can't help with the antibiotics as I'm the wrong side of the Atlantic, but I'm sure someone will help.

There is hope... The antibiotics sorted Joe. Good luck :)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country

If there is a feed store nearby, you can get some terramycin(tetracycline) powder made for livestock I use about a teaspoon per gallon, and use in your drinking and soaking water. If you add the chick vitamins as well, the water is more palatable them also.I think that the warm winter was problematic for a lot of turtles. I had one come up with a respiratory infection , then bilateral ear infections.(This may happen as well)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

If they are drinking water, soak them in baby food soaks, that way they get nutrients.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA

and get them warm and keep them warm....
There is a Vet list here somewhere...

M

Maggie Cummings

yagyujubei said:
If there is a feed store nearby, you can get some terramycin(tetracycline) powder made for livestock I use about a teaspoon per gallon, and use in your drinking and soaking water. If you add the chick vitamins as well, the water is more palatable them also.I think that the warm winter was problematic for a lot of turtles. I had one come up with a respiratory infection , then bilateral ear infections.(This may happen as well)

I think that twice daily soaks are detrimental rather than good for them. That moves the feces thru the system too fast and the tortoise misses out on the nutrients. I say that because most tortoises poop in their warm water. Once a day soaks is good enough...if they are baby food soaks they should be warm and long. About an hour is good enough. Other than that, yagyujubei gave great advice and I would have said the same thing.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Bookmark this link.
http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html

Your best plan is to find a herp vet and have them treat your turtles.

If this isn't possible, here's what you would need to do.
Go to a feed store, as yagyujubei said, and get a bottle of Tylan (or something with the active ingredient tylocin), and a bottle of injectible tetracycline (often called liquamycin LI200).
You'll need the smallest syringes you can get, that are graduated in 0.1 cc markings.
You'll need to set up a warm, humid environment with clean substrate such as paper towels. Humidity is important to reduce dehydration. Dehydration makes many antibiotics dangerous. Two concrete mixing tubs, one flipped on top of the other, help hold in humidity nicely. Don't use a basking light, just an underneath heat mat controlled by a thermostat probe FIXED inside the tub.
Treated with tylocin and tetracycline (injected separately into the front legs just under the skin) and kept warm (85 degrees) and humid, with access to clean water, even very bad respiratory infections respond well. Enroflaxacin (Baytril) seems better than tetracycline, but is not available over the counter.

This is not easy. It is also not cheap if you do not have any of these materials. Also, there is a learning curve. You need to swab the injection site with alcohol first, and be willing to give your turtle's shots. You'll need to understand the milligrams of active ingredient per milliliter in your antibiotics, and do the math for the appropriate dose for your turtle based on his body weight. The turtle will close up if you stick his leg with something sharp, so you have to hold the leg out while giving the injection. One injection in each front leg. This is very difficult to do without help.

Your best bet, find a vet! They know what they are doing, use the best and most current antibiotics, and won't make math errors that you might. Plus, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING, I can't emphasize this enough. If you do this yourself, it's quite likely you'll make mistakes, and you could kill your turtle.

Steve

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
call around your local vets and ask them for adivce tell them your boxie has an RI and that you need a reptile vet, i wouldnt suggest treating this your self, conjunctivitus is one thing but RI and ear absesses are another completely call around and see what they say...

Status
Not open for further replies.