Box turtle awake

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
With the warmer weather we've been having in So Cal, two of my box turtles came up out of hibernation the other day. I soaked them and then put them back in the hibernation box. One went down, but the other is still up. It was cooler today and he still didn't dig down. How long should I give him before I just get him up and overwinter him. (FYI - he is an ornate and is very healthy. His eyes and nose are clear.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We're having a pretty mild winter here in Central Calif. too. My box turtles are all outside and buried under a leaf pile. I see tunnels in the pile and on sunny days you can usually see one or two of them on top of the pile. I just leave them alone. If its going to freeze at night, I will make sure they are all buried, but other than that, they're on their own.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine depends on the weather the other day he was scratching in his box trying to get out, so i soaked him, today not a peep, I would say if he starts to look dehydrated or starts to lose weight then it might be time to overwinter.

Status
Not open for further replies.