Hibernation

Lynn61

Location (City and/or State)
Wigtown
Hi I’m lynn live in Scotland,I have a 2 year old hermann tortoise called Tilly I’m due to hibernate her for the first time in January,but I’m really reluctant is it really necessary to hibernate her

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. Its not necessary. I think it is good to hibernate them if they are a species that would hibernate them in the wild, but don't let anyone tell you that it is "necessary".

We can help you understand more about how to do it correctly if you want, or you can just keep him up and warm all winter.

Lynn61

Wigtown
No. Its not necessary. I think it is good to hibernate them if they are a species that would hibernate them in the wild, but don't let anyone tell you that it is "necessary".

We can help you understand more about how to do it correctly if you want, or you can just keep him up and warm all winter.
So it won’t do her any harm if I don’t I’m just so worried she won’t wake up am very fond of her

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So it won’t do her any harm if I don’t I’m just so worried she won’t wake up am very fond of her
Done correctly, they always wake up. I've never had a single problem.

As far as we can tell, it does no harm to not hibernate. Some people think it is unnatural, and I agree, but I cannot say it does any harm. All evidence suggests it does not harm. This is according to people who've gone decades without hibernating their Testudo species. They still breed, produce babies and behave normally.

Lynn61

Wigtown
Hi I’m lynn live in Scotland,I have a 2 year old hermann tortoise called Tilly I’m due to hibernate her for the first time in January,but I’m really reluctant is it really necessary to hibernate her
Thanks I’ve got a couple of months to think about ,would I have to do anything different that I do now if I don’t hibernate her

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California