Hibernation

TonyaTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Retford UK
I have a four year old Mediterranean Spur thigh and she (think it’s a she) has never hibernated. I live in the UK and wondering if I should allow her to hibernate this year. She weighs about 160g. She’s my first tortoise. Any advice welcome from more experienced owners. 82CE79BD-5E98-49F0-870F-C386328A7D94.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's really up to you. Read the thread we have on it and see if its something you feel comfortable doing. You can't just let her do it outside and there is prep work before hand.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I have a four year old Mediterranean Spur thigh and she (think it’s a she) has never hibernated. I live in the UK and wondering if I should allow her to hibernate this year. She weighs about 160g. She’s my first tortoise. Any advice welcome from more experienced owners. View attachment 349973
How come you have grass like that when we have been scorched!

UK winter temp is not conducive to outside hibernation or brumation. Please search on here for brumation prep as there is a pre brumation inc no food to empty gut, brumation and past brumation.

Care sheet

Last edited:

TonyaTortoise

Retford UK
Thank you for replying. The grass stayed green because it doesn’t get cut much in that part of the garden, as it’s a small wildlife area. Tonya comes in at night (unless it’s a very warm one) and is in over winter. I have read the information sheet below and it’s given me so much to think about. Tonya seems pretty healthy and I don’t think I have done too bad so far but I could probably do better to make sure she continues to thrive. She seems too big for her indoor enclosure now so I am going to need a bigger set up

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
Some people use fridges to hibernate torts now because of our unreliable climate. If left outside, a mild spell during winter can make them wake early and if they eat then go back into hibernation in a colder spell the food could rot in the gut and become toxic. Plus you have the worry about rats finding the tort and chewing limbs off. It's a risky business and I'm glad I don't have to make that decision with my tort.
The caresheets linked above should help you decide. Good luck.