Hibernation

Sophie_lou

Location (City and/or State)
Derbyshire
Hi.
I am looking for some advise on how to hibernate my Horsefield tortoise properly. Its the first time I have done and I want to make sure I do it correctly as I am worried he won't wake up!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is the tortoise being kept indoors or outside?

In the weeks prior to brumation a tortoise will slow down eating and eventually stop altogether. He will come out and sit in the sun, but not be very active. After a few weeks he will stop coming out at all. That would be when you would either box him up and put him in the fridge, or box him up and put him in a safe, cool place for the winter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi.
I am looking for some advise on how to hibernate my Horsefield tortoise properly. Its the first time I have done and I want to make sure I do it correctly as I am worried he won't wake up!
Start with all this:

Then either read all of this, or skip to post number 19:

Most of it will be explained, but questions are always welcome.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
How old is your tort and how long have you had him?

Sophie_lou

Derbyshire
Is the tortoise being kept indoors or outside?

In the weeks prior to brumation a tortoise will slow down eating and eventually stop altogether. He will come out and sit in the sun, but not be very active. After a few weeks he will stop coming out at all. That would be when you would either box him up and put him in the fridge, or box him up and put him in a safe, cool place for the winter.
He is inside. I don't have a separate fridge so will need to box him up. What do I need to place substrate in so he can dig down?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have chest type freezers, unplugged, that I use because they're well insulated and are able to maintain a consistent temperature. But you can use a less used closet in a back bedroom with the door shut.

In a cardboard box I put down the whole Sunday newspaper folded in half, then a layer of shredded paper. I lay the tortoise on that then fill the box up with more shredded paper. Then fold and lock the box's flaps. Put the box in the closet and close the door.

Sophie_lou

Derbyshire
I have chest type freezers, unplugged, that I use because they're well insulated and are able to maintain a consistent temperature. But you can use a less used closet in a back bedroom with the door shut.

In a cardboard box I put down the whole Sunday newspaper folded in half, then a layer of shredded paper. I lay the tortoise on that then fill the box up with more shredded paper. Then fold and lock the box's flaps. Put the box in the closet and close the door.
Thanks for the advise. I will do that.

Theia

York

Isn't this too warm for them at times ?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK

Simples