hibernation

lkynaston

5 Year Member
I need some advice- we have a horsefield tort who is 5 yrs old, this will be our 3rd winter with him in our home and we have not hibernated him before. however this year he is reluctant to come out from his home, not eating much( been 2 days now since he had anything) and im wondering if he's trying to tell me he wants to hibernate. Is it to late to do this now, how do i do it . He's always indoors, has a open tort table with basking light and uv, comes out for wanders around the house and likes a bath in luke warm water. Am i doing right thing not hibernating him?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I have seen that hibernation is very debatable. From everything I have read, there is no absolute need to hibernate. I would not hibernate if it were me, just too many risks and it the requirements are kind of hard to maintain for me.

Esme and Torty

5 Year Member
UK
I have a horsefield too. Hes 11 and has been hibernating since the age of 5 :)

akp022

5 Year Member
lkynaston, were you able to get a definitive answer to your question? I have a Greek Tortoise who has completely lost his appetite and has been sleeping unless I wake him up in the mornings (to which he gets mad and goes deep into his shell). He is not exhibiting any signs of sickness, he just seems as though he would like to hibernate (I've gotten him out for soaks but he'll go right back to sleep afterwards) but this has been more of a recent thing so I was not sure if it was too late to hibernate him or not. I bought him off someone a little over a year ago so I'm not sure how old he is but he is full grown for a Greek Tortoise so I'm not too worried about his age, but rather how late into the year it is getting.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
were you able to get a definitive answer

Dont know if there is actually a way to give a definitive answer without knowing if proper care/husbandry was in place for over a year at least...without knowing is a proper wind down was done (no food, proper hydration---good health overall)...is a proper hibernacle in place? Many variables in play....

akp022

5 Year Member
ascott said:
were you able to get a definitive answer

Dont know if there is actually a way to give a definitive answer without knowing if proper care/husbandry was in place for over a year at least...without knowing is a proper wind down was done (no food, proper hydration---good health overall)...is a proper hibernacle in place? Many variables in play....

He lives in a tortoise table that is about 4'X4'. Temps are ~95-100F basking, 65-70F Night, and anywhere between 75-85F around the table, depending on if it is closer to the basking light or the hide. He eats a variety of foods; I've tried multiple greens but the only ones he'll actually eat much of are turnip greens and dandelions, and he gets peppers every so often as a snack. He gets soaked every other day and has a water dish that he can soak in if he chooses. He shows no signs of an RI. I just recently started reading about hibernation since I am at work all day and have no way to keep him awake (nor did I realize that he wasn't staying awake during the day). So I have been trying to feed him every morning, but he's only eaten a few bites then gone back to sleep, so I'm not sure if I should continue to wake him up and soak him but not feed him to prepare him for hibernation or not.

Lovenmysuber

5 Year Member
US
Sounds like the same problem we are having with Fred. Like you, I continue to turn his lights on & try to keep him awake; I have also been doing soaks. I also purchased another UV light thinking more "sun" would help. This is our first year with Fred so I am really trying to keep him awake this winter, but it is a real chore to say the least. Hopefully, they start to stay awake, best of luck to you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If he is solid (heavy in weight when you pick him up) and well hydrated....you can do a short brumation to start with...these guys brumate for months if it were in the wild...but since he is young, has never brumated before----I would start off with a reduced duration brumation...perhaps set in mind a total of 4 to 6 weeks....:D