Hibernation?

mayaclark638

If I don't want my hermann's to hibernate what should I do? I am looking to get my first hermann's in the next year, but I'm not sure what to do about hibernation season. I don't want to hibernate him, so how do I keep him from doing it?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
keep him warm with a 10 hour light cycle.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If I don't want my hermann's to hibernate what should I do? I am looking to get my first hermann's in the next year, but I'm not sure what to do about hibernation season. I don't want to hibernate him, so how do I keep him from doing it?

Have you considered perhaps a tortoise species that is not designed to brumate as part to their make up? :D This way you will not encounter this issue whatsoever....

Alexx24

I've had my boy for 3 years now and never hibernated him, I've read some horror stories about it so I asked the vet about it and he said that it's fine to never hibernate them you just have to make sure it's warm enough for them each day, they just slow down during the winter :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is it unhealthy not to hibernate him?

There is no "certain" way to know what this does to the entire life of a species that has evolved to brumate....now, some folks will say that they have cared for torts for 20,30+ years and all is fine...well, a tortoise has a much longer life span that this---and tortoise keeping is still relatively new (yes, new)... so there is no real way for anyone to absolutely answer this question.

You will need to determine where you sit with the entire subject....:D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
mayaclark638 said:

Keep him warm and keep the lights on at least 14 hours a day. Tortoise don't have to hibernate (brumate), and not hibernating (brumating) them has no ill effect on their health.

In 40 years, I've never brumated any of mine, and they've all stayed perfectly healthy.