Hibernation

Thomasvines

I found this adorable Russian tortoise wandering in my back yard and fell in love with her.
I have ran found adds in the local paper, asked all the neighbors if it belongs to them, and posted signs in the local vet office. No one has claimed her her, it has now been 1 month. I named her Speedy, as she is very quick moving, healthy, and very social. Is it possible she is just a wild tort? Should I let her go? Could she survive a Chicago land area winter outside? According to the vet, her age is estimated about 5 years old and weighs 1200 gm. I have been researching and learning a lot about torts, would love to keep her indoors, but unsure if I should hibernate her this year. What are your thoughts. Please help.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I would say she is yours, and you are lucky to have her.
Keep her safe. Someone probably got tired of her and just let her go. She sounds like she was a pet.
Set her up inside this winter in a tortoise table. 4x6', 3x8', something in that ballpark. I wouldn't hibernate her. She may or may not survive outside if left on her own. :(
She is full on adult, and at 1200gm, probably at least 10 yrs, if not more.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Is she is truly a Russian tortoise, she is not a wild tortoise, but someone's pet. Since you've tried your best to find her caretakers, I think you should keep her if you want her. Twelve hundred grams is a lot for a Russian - unless she's a big female. Maybe you could post a picture just to confirm that is what she is. As for hibernating, my general rule is to overwinter any tortoise the first year I have it - just to be safe. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Congrats on "discovering" how great tortoises are.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I believe its a general rulel here that you don't hibernate the first year with a new tort since you don't know their quirks and whats normal for them and that, esspecialy being closer to hibernation time and her just wandering you have no idea if they have health issues that hibernating will certainly bring bad news for.
I've personally chose not to hibernate my Russian but that's just because to me its a very stressful time and so much can go wrong, and he's never slowed down in the winter. And I'd miss him too much. But of course you can hibernate in the future that's a choice, people here will help, just don't do it this year.
Congrats on the new lady, she's pretty lucky she found you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We have a care sheet at the top of our Russian section. Be sure to read that.

It's a good rule of thumb to keep a new-to-your tortoise awake the first winter with you. You want to make sure that the tortoise is healthy enough to withstand the rigors of hibernation, and we're so very close now to winter, that you don't know if the tortoise is ready.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Thomasvines

Thank you all for your replies to my question and concerns, as I am a new owner of my Russian, Speedy.
Your experience is so helpful to a newbie.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Well, I'm pretty sure Russain torts haven't established a wild population here yet :D I wouldn't. The first year should always be skipped, IMHO. I wouldn't anyway! For reasons I have expressed before, like the risk of death, missing him, the possibility of it going wrong, the worry... I'm pretty sure it is NOT necessary to hibernate, (I've heard for breeding purposes, it is) so I don't....