Hibiscus leaves turning yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
The Home Depots in our area have a new bag-o-stuff called EcoScraps and it is compost from veggies and fruits that go bad at the grocery stores. I would use that. If you use kitchen scraps before they have been composted be sure to bury and let nature take its course that way. Same with the coffee because you are amending IN the enclosure. Mix the grounds with soil first and then bury near the plant roots but also in a place where your tortoises may not burrow. Maybe add a brick or rock on top to be sure your tortoises do not dig in there for a few months while things break down.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
The Home Depots in our area have a new bag-o-stuff called EcoScraps and it is compost from veggies and fruits that go bad at the grocery stores. I would use that. If you use kitchen scraps before they have been composted be sure to bury and let nature take its course that way. Same with the coffee because you are amending IN the enclosure. Mix the grounds with soil first and then bury near the plant roots but also in a place where your tortoises may not burrow. Maybe add a brick or rock on top to be sure your tortoises do not dig in there for a few months while things break down.

Great idea, thanks. I wonder how late in the fall it's worthwhile to do. For instance, if I wait until the torts are brumating, is the soil amendment too late to be of any value for the plant? (There's no frost where I live in LA).

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
We are So Cal girls ... you can do it, year round because we have year round gardening weather pretty much! Neener-neener. :p
And of course, brumation time. Excellent time to do so. Best time actually.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
We are So Cal girls ... you can do it, year round because we have year round gardening weather pretty much! Neener-neener. :p
And of course, brumation time. Excellent time to do so. Best time actually.

Ah thank you! I am new to SoCal gardening and thus new to being able to neener neener all year long. It's pretty great.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The stuff I recommended is mixed with water and absorbs right into the dirt. Perfectly fine to use around the tortoises.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Tom said:
Yes. The one I mentioned above that is made for Azaleas, Camellias, Rhododendron, and hibiscus. Its made by Miracle-Gro. Its these wet crystals that you mix with water and water your plants with. Its great stuff.

It used to be called something else. "Acid..." something or other... I can't remember the name. Its for plants that need more acidic soil. You should easily find it at any garden center.

Tom its called “Miracid”

Miracle Grow is made up from chemically derived phosphorous, nitrogen, and potassium. It's actually much cleaner (and more pleasant) to use then many of those other natural or "organic" types. If you want to feed your plants inside your tortoise enclosures, best way to go would have to be just regular ol' COMPOST.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Teodora said:
Tom said:
Yes. The one I mentioned above that is made for Azaleas, Camellias, Rhododendron, and hibiscus. Its made by Miracle-Gro. Its these wet crystals that you mix with water and water your plants with. Its great stuff.

It used to be called something else. "Acid..." something or other... I can't remember the name. Its for plants that need more acidic soil. You should easily find it at any garden center.

Tom its called “Miracid”

Miracle Grow is made up from chemically derived phosphorous, nitrogen, and potassium. It's actually much cleaner (and more pleasant) to use then many of those other natural or "organic" types. If you want to feed your plants inside your tortoise enclosures, best way to go would have to be just regular ol' COMPOST.

Okay. But the hibiscus won't be safe to feed until next year, so I have it in a pot. So would it matter if I did compost or feertilizers?

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If its in a pot and the tortoises can't reach it then either one is perfectly safe and fine to use.

Luke, thank you for the assist with that name. When I first heard of this product a year ago, I went looking for "Miracid". Someone here on the forum recommended it because my hibiscus leaves were turning yellow and dying despite soil that was damp all the time. I couldn't find it because they had changed the name. They don't call it "Miracid" here any more. It's just called "Miracle-Gro for Azaleas, Camellias, and Rhododendron." Within days of using it no more leaves turned yellow and the plant started thriving again.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Tom said:
If its in a pot and the tortoises can't reach it then either one is perfectly safe and fine to use.

Luke, thank you for the assist with that name. When I first heard of this product a year ago, I went looking for "Miracid". Someone here on the forum recommended it because my hibiscus leaves were turning yellow and dying despite soil that was damp all the time. I couldn't find it because they had changed the name. They don't call it "Miracid" here any more. It's just called "Miracle-Gro for Azaleas, Camellias, and Rhododendron." Within days of using it no more leaves turned yellow and the plant started thriving again.

Anytime :)

I have some (tropical) hibiscus trees that I keep and found that Iron does a good job too. Great stress reducer for them as I know they would rather like to be in the ground to stretch their feet.

ksanchez

5 Year Member
Ca
I water my hibiscus plants/trees a little bit daily. Are your leaves wilting between watering? Is it getting enough sun?
I occasionally, not very often, get one yellow leaf, but never more than two on any of my plants/trees. Maybe you need to water it more often. Just a suggestion. It works well for me. I live in the Inland Empire (Southern Ca).

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I'll start watering daily. Should I use the miracle grow everyday when I get it? And at what strength?

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.