hibiscus question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuppidsarrows

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Thousand oaks, Ca
My torts don't seem to like yellow hibiscus is there a reason to this? they prefer the red and pink just thought this was kinda interesting has anyone else experienced this?

M

Maggie Cummings

My 'guess' would be because all tortoises prefer red anything. My big Sulcata loves hibiscus and so far has been tried out on red/white, lavender and solid red. He doesn't even stop to smell them. He flat out loves hibiscus and scarfs them down when offered.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I wouldn't be surprised if it had a different taste to it as I believe the different colors are different types (species?). You can try it yourself if you are interested (they are safe for humans to eat too). Do make sure they are organic (free from chemicals) before feeding them to your tort. That is awesome you have them to feed to your torts--I don't have a garden. Best wishes.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hibiscus taste mainly are a peppery taste and a sweet or neutral taste, I am not aware of the different colors = different tastes. They are not different species though.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have not tried them yet. But I just had a yellow bloom. Maybe tonight I'll try a pink, red and yellow.
But I do know Roses are like that. the deeper the shade of red the sweeter the taste. I've tried all kind of colors of Roses. White are bitter, yellow less so, pink getting sweeter and red sweet. Deep blood red very sweet and the almost black red the sweetest.

brymanda

5 Year Member
Florida
There actually are quite a few different species of hibiscus, the most common being Hibiscus syriacus and Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. Generally the former is grown in more temperate regions and the latter is grown in more tropical regions. But I would agree with the red theory. Mine are much less interested in hibiscus leaves if served without the flowers :)

Hibiscus tea is also good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.