Hibiscus

Terri Snowden

Hi all

I have just bough a hibiscus from my garden center I'm just woundering how much of the plant my Russian can eat? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403728481.103161.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403728517.942935.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Leaves are fine, flowers though are known as tortoise crack, it is also fine, but with potted plants from nurseries, I like to wait a bit before I feed from it.

Terri Snowden

Oh god I didn't know that, the pot is from a nursery from my work and the Gardner told me that there was no pester-sides used on the plant and was planted into and organic compost, should I wait for it to bloom before I feed it to him? Also I was told aloe Vera is good to feed is that true?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
If you trust the Gardner it should be ok, but aloe vera is also great, mine love it, at least wait for new growth before feeding.

Terri Snowden

Oh I shall get a plant then, I'm stating to grown my own food for him but like anything it is taking its time so I'm trying to find diffrent foods from him to eat so he dose not get bored eating the same thing, is there anything else you recommend that he will like to eat?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Mine like radish tops, dandelion greens and flowers, mustard, and turnip greens, and they love grape leaves, all easy to grow.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
All of it. Everything on the plant is safe for consumption, but he may like some parts batter than others!
Leaves are fine, flowers though are known as tortoise crack, it is also fine, but with potted plants from nurseries, I like to wait a bit before I feed from it.
I know! My RT would like to LIVE on hibiscus flowers... taste so good!!