Hides for bigger tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

July

5 Year Member
I am still setting up my tort table for two RFs--the biggest being about 10". I have seen some really cool set ups for little torts, but not as many indoor setups for larger ones. I need a hide for the bigger guy and want it to still look nice. Any ideas? I hope to fill it with more spag moss so I can keep it moist in there for him. My smaller RF uses a half log a lot, but was trying to come up with something similar for the big guy. Suggestions? TIA.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
flower pots.. they come in all sizes and when you put them on thier sides, they make good hides. or get plastic ones and cut them in half and get two for one. or plastic garbage cans.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use the 5 gallon plastic plant pots cut in half lengthwise.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You can make a plywood or something box with a hinged lid, about 24"ish x 12"ish or so. Line the inside with a natural material, like bark, cork, moss, woven grass or palm material, etc. that lets you moisten it for humidity, and that helps simulate a natural hide. The outside can be 'decorated' with more bark.

If you have some decent bark to begin with, you can build the whole thing out of the bark directly.

Plastic tubs turned upside down, make simple and durable hides but are not real interesting by themselves but you can 'bury' them in mulch or greenery.

July

5 Year Member
By bark, do you just mean the stuff that has fallen off of dry wood? I made my smaller hide by snagging a piece of bark out of a woodpile, but it is more fragile.[/u]

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Our friend is a tree guy. So I have him keep an eye open when he is cutting trees down. He keeps hollow ones for me for hides for my guys. I get all different sizes and they are natural looking. I just wire brush the inside to loosen dead wood and remove bugs. Cut the log in half and you have 2! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.