Hides!

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I was thinking that, so you slightly sink the terra cotta pot into the substrate and stick some inside the pot too? What size would you recommend?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I use the pots as well. I also put moss inside the pot so they can hide and feel secure in there since it is s open. For my bigger guy i used a plastic shoe box. Upside down, sunk in, and a door cut out. I cut a piece of sod out of my yard, my husband was not thrilled, and laid it across the top to keep the temp stable and provide a secure feeling. I made it long enough he can walk across the top.

Attachments

• 1001141632a.jpg
    1001141632a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You could use it, but most of the time they seem to prefer hides that the opening is just barely tall enough for them. Also the entire house does not need to be much taller then them either.

With the pot either sunk part way with added substrate or long strand spag moss or use only half of a flower pot.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Thanks for awesome suggestions, I might end up going with the pot suggestions!

I've seen for hatchlings some people are using the hamster igloos? Thoughts on that?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I personally am not a fan of them for these reasons: Usually a small opening and large "house". Plastic so easy to get moved around. Plastic so not ideal under a heat lamp or heat producing light. Often clear or slightly clouded, I prefer hides to be dark. But many folks do use them and like them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to offer humid hides. I use black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. They cost $1.82. I flip them upside down and cut out a small door hole. My torts seem to like the darkness of it and the small door hole holds in humidity well. They can be buried to make them look nicer too. I have one medium sized star tortoise that seems to like to move his hide around, so I put a rock on top of that one.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I like pots too. My guy has a plastic one, but it's very nice, he likes climbing and I didn't want a flip hazard, so I picked a pot that has large ridges on the sides... so now he's climbing all day every day... :p
The half logs are nice too, because they are grippy. Hard to find one in the right size, though :(

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I like my personalized, hand-drawn faux stone hide. Surprizingly, they last a long time AND maintain nice moisture since i spray it down and have my mister flowing over the top. Easy to customize as Sully grows.image.jpg

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I like the ZooMed half logs (the ones made from real trees). They come in multiple sizes. I order mine from PetMountain.com. The website gives the dimensions of each size. My babies like to climb over it. I partially bury it in the coir. I also ordered a resin type hide from Petco which I also like a lot.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I like those too! I'll have to look at the other type you mentioned. I'm trying to find something he likes better because the one I built into my table for some reason he never goes into it..

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
My guys like to hide under large pieces tree bark. They like their hides, but for other purposes...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412465121.693787.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412465095.258422.jpg

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES