Plan for tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
34KING18 said:
Thank you for replying. No rush here. England vs. Ukraine was on ? I thought it was tommorow. Any way , do you think my supply list is fit for a russian tortoise ?

I can't quite we believe we won that match! Full time now. Italy on Saturday next :)

Right, back to tortoises! Your supply list is OK, but I reiterate that your tort will need space; lots of it. You can't stop a Russian's desire to roam and if you can't give it adequate space due to constraints in your home, then you should really consider a different pet.

34KING18

5 Year Member
CT , USA
So everything on my supply list is good for the tortoise except for my tank?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A couple of other thoughts...

If you are using a MVB over one end, there is no reason you can't hook up a fluorescent tube too, to give everything more light.

Second thing: if your tortoise is getting direct natural sunlight two or three times a week, you don't need any expensive artificial UV bulbs in your indoor set up. You could simply use a regular incandescent flood bulb in this case.

And JoesMum, there are a few Americans that appreciate proper football. I am one of them. I played for 8 years...

34KING18

5 Year Member
CT , USA
So my list of supplies is good for a tortoise except the tank size? The substarte, lighting and everything is good except for my tank? I just wanna make sure I got everything down. Thank you guys for helping me!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
look at yard sales or craigslist for cheap larger tanks. used. not water tight is fine. some pet stores sell them cheap too.
bigger the better. Russians love to move around and it will drive you nuts watching it climb over everything and trying to get out.
Can you do the book case thing? you can find them cheap or free.
I use soil type substrate. and mine are all outside..

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
If you take him out of his enclosure everyday to roam around in the house or take him outside and keep an eye on him . Does the enclosure matter . I live in an apartment it's small and I have no problems I'm a healthy young man. I go outside

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
cjcantelon said:
If you take him out of his enclosure everyday to roam around in the house or take him outside and keep an eye on him . Does the enclosure matter . I live in an apartment it's small and I have no problems I'm a healthy young man. I go outside

They should definitely have some type of enclosure, whether its indoors, outdoors or both. Tortoises really shouldn't be left to roam around the house. Too much stuff for them to get into, too difficult to control the right temperatures for them, flooring isn't right, etc. They need to be in a controlled environment...where they cannot escape and you don't have to worry about them eating something they shouldn't, or getting stuck somewhere, or getting a respiratory illness for being too cold or whatever.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
StudentoftheReptile said:
They should definitely have some type of enclosure, whether its indoors, outdoors or both. Tortoises really shouldn't be left to roam around the house. Too much stuff for them to get into, too difficult to control the right temperatures for them, flooring isn't right, etc. They need to be in a controlled environment...where they cannot escape and you don't have to worry about them eating something they shouldn't, or getting stuck somewhere, or getting a respiratory illness for being too cold or whatever.

Seems you misunderstood me

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
cjcantelon said:
Seems you misunderstood me

Maybe. Perhaps you should make yourself more clear in the future.;)

Let's take another look at your first statement, shall we?

If you take him out of his enclosure everyday to roam around in the house or take him outside and keep an eye on him . Does the enclosure matter .

Punctuation and grammar aside, it would seem that you are asking that if one takes their tortoise out of their enclosure to either go outside or roam around one's home on a routine basis, does the details of the enclosure really matter. I was merely explaining that, indeed yes, it does matter. I apologize if your feelings were hurt because I did not answer your question with a simple "yes" or "no" but I felt it was better for anyone who happens upon this thread to know precisely WHY it does matter. Perhaps you were not intending to imply that one leave their tortoise to roam unattended in the house, but even still, the primary enclosure needs all of the tortoise's needs met, and that includes: proper heating and lighting, substrate, hiding shelters, and fresh water.

Now...was that NOT what you meant in your statement/question? If not, please feel free to clarify.

I live in an apartment it's small and I have no problems I'm a healthy young man. I go outside

I'm not even entirely sure how this is even relevant to the topic. Umm...kudos on being healthy?

Oh...maybe you're trying to compare yourself and your own health to that of a tortoise's living conditions. Wrong. Its like comparing apples and....screwdrivers. You are a highly intelligent warm-blooded primate/mammal sentient being that has control of his environment. You have the choice of altering the thermostat in your apartment when you're too hot or too cold. You can choose to go outside when you want fresh air and sunshine. The cold-blooded, not-so-intelligent tortoise living in a glass box does not have such abilities. Therefore, we have to make sure they have what they need.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Haha. Sorry for upsetting you, I was not mad. Silly.

I meant to ask.

Does the size of the enclosure matter if you take your tortoise out,every so often, for exercise? Outside, inside, wherever.

cljohnson

5 Year Member
I've been following your thread.
I believe your question about enclosure size has been answered many times.
When you don't get the answer you're looking for you seem to ask again looking for the answer you want.
I don't think anyone on this forum will condone keeping a tortoise in too small of an enclosure.
It's more like you're asking what kind of conditions can a tortoise survive in, not what should I provide for my tortoise.
That being said I appreciate your enthusiasm and I'm sure you have the best intentions at heart.
Figure out the largest enclosure you could possibly fit into your apartment then double it.
FIND A WAY TO MAKE IT WORK.
Otherwise I think it's a no-go for tortoise at this point in your life.
Hopefully soon you will find yourself in a situation with more room because you seem like the type who would be an awesome tortoise keeper.
As far as your other questions.
You seem to be on the right track with your choices.
For your lighting I would stick with a MVB for your hot side. Make sure you adjust the height for the proper basking temperatures.
If you feel you need more light on the cool side you can use a standard household compact fluorescent bulb. Just keep it high at least 20 to 24 inches above the substrate.
NEVER use a UV compact fluorescent.
Hope this helps

cljohnson

5 Year Member
Wow.
I just realized this thread has been hijacked.
I thought I was addressing the O.P. 34KING18.
I don't know who cjcantelon is.
Although I stand behind my statements they may have been misdirected.
I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I usually don't respond to things that turn into debates. I have used the reptile bark for my Russians and have had great luck with it and I have used Cypress mulch and liked it too. Cypress mulch IS cheaper.
Secondly, my Russians don't get to go outside everyday because I live in Colorado and it doesn't always allow for it. However, that being said, without being rude I have a HUGE indoor enclosure for them and the Star tortoise that I am about to get. I feel like if you're about to spend money on a temp gun like suggested and everything that everyone has suggested please take my advice into consideration and do what's right for the tortoise you're about to choose. Would you want to live in a glass tank or something smaller. Glass tanks in my own personal opinion are cruel and should never be used. They just pace back and forth confused.
If you can't afford a bigger enclosure wait until you can. If you don't have the space, wait until you do, what's the rush? I guess that's my questions for you... What's the rush? You both will be happy in the long run if you wait until you are properly ready. :D

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I also am not keen on getting into debates on here, I'm nowhere near as experienced as a lot of you,and certainly don't claim to be an expert. I do understand most aspects of tortoise keeping though.

I'm hoping this doesn't offend anyone it's just an observation and I don't want to sound out of line here but I feel like I need to say it, so apologies in advance.

I'm reading a lot about people buying tortoises, not only without considering and researching into how much time and space they need, then once they have them, they "cannot use anything bigger" but also a lot of people that are saying they don't want to take them to a vet due to money. The only reason I would be reluctant to take mine, is the stress it would cause him...maybe the experienced members here could start a thread regarding these things, just to let people know that they need space, they need shelters reptile vets arent cheap (maybe search a few vet fee lists to give people an idea) and if the prospective owners cannot provide these, OR cannot afford to take things into hand (health and vet wise) then perhaps look into a different kind of creature to keep. Or maybe get a good wedge of "emergency" money behind them before they go and purchase a tortoise. Reptile vets, well any vets, ARE expensive. Maybe mention insurance for your tortoise.
I know money is tight for the most of us, but you cannot skimp on things like this. I feel if you know that you don't have ample funds, (and space) even just for the initial set up how do people think they will manage in future,when they may need to pay, say up to £200 for a set of X-rays, or overnight care. It's a shame that a lot of people all over (not necessarily on here) would rather hope that nasty symptoms "pass" because the trip will be expensive.

I know a lot of this is off topic, but it's all up there with the space issue, it's the fact that occasionally people jump in head first because they like the idea of a tortoise, without considering future aspects, therefore putting the creatures health and well being in jeopardy.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
cjcantelon said:
Does the size of the enclosure matter if you take your tortoise out,every so often, for exercise? Outside, inside, wherever.

I still think that it does.

You never know when other aspects of your life may influence how much time you have to devote to taking the tortoise out: i.e school, work, social gatherings, etc. Adverse weather could be a factor as well.

Better to have a good, spacious controlled environment that is roomy enough for the tortoise in case you don't have time to take it out every day.

And this is directed to both the OP and CJcantelon.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
StudentoftheReptile said:
I still think that it does.

You never know when other aspects of your life may influence how much time you have to devote to taking the tortoise out: i.e school, work, social gatherings, etc. Adverse weather could be a factor as well.

Better to have a good, spacious controlled environment that is roomy enough for the tortoise in case you don't have time to take it out every day.

And this is directed to both the OP and CJcantelon.

Thank you for answering that. I have an 5x 2 indoor enclosure . It was not a debate for anyone saying that. I was just asking a question . It was not a rhetorical question lol. I was curious lol... Sorry if it was to come off as something else. In most forums they get mad at you for starting a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.