Hides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasspack

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hello,

Just starting to set up my enclosure....(no tort yet)....

How many hiding spots do you guys recommend and where do you put them? I know a hide on the cool side for sure, and a basking spot on the hot side...but is that it? Thanks

LindaF

5 Year Member
My little red foot likes to hide, so I decided just to go with it. He has four hides plus dark corners he can crawl behind plants etc. He has one favorite hide and corner is prefers to sleep in at night. It is funny to watch him during the day moving from hide to hide in his enclosure adventures. I say give him multiple choices, the amount will be determined by your total space. Also, be prepared for him to create one of his own :)

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Thanks for the reply...that's what I thought...a few at least. My enclosure is 53x31....so I have enough room to stick at least a couple in there. Also....If I want to use a fake plant....do I have to worry about the tort chewing on the plastic?

Thanks again.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If you're interest is Mediterranean tortoises as your stated in an earlier post I would recommend one dry hide area and one "moist" hide area to give the tortoise(s) a choice. I've found for the most part that my young Mediterraneans choose the dry hiding areas a majority of the time. Their enclosures (except the dry hide) are sprayed heavily twice daily and they are soaked 2-3 times weekly so being too dry doesn't seem to be an issue with them.

LindaF

5 Year Member
I don't use plastic plants so someone else will need to answer. I was always afraid of him biting plastic so I never tried. Mine does make a mess of his plants at times :-(

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I am a little dense sometimes....so the dry hide on the hot side along with the basking area, and then a moist hide on the cooler side...or did I get that backwards? Thanks....just want to get it right the first time. I want a happy tort:)

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Is there a particular reason to go with fake plants over real? I don't think it would be a concern if your tort nibbled at them - it should realize pretty quickly that it isn't food and stop. Though if it were terribly persistent it could cause a blockage if it actually ate parts of the plastic or cloth.

You might consider instead using real, non-toxic plants that the tort could eat - there are some great lists out there (link, someone?). That gives the benefit of the tort having a potentially more varied, nutritious diet, and keeping the plants watered will help keep the substrate nice and moist. The plants also hold the humidity in the air and of course look wonderful.

travisgn

5 Year Member
If you do go with fake plants you shouldn't have to worry about it. My torts don't think of them as food; I imagine smell is more important than sight for determining food sources. Once my female russian bit a fake fern, but I think it was mostly to say to me "Hey! I'm hungry over here!" Because I was standing next to her enclosure watching her i.e. not feeding her. I pulled it out of her mouth just to be sure she wouldn't get a piece of it and swallow it, but I actually don't think they would be able to bite a piece off very easily, fake plants are much tougher than real plants.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
RE: Hides?
....so the dry hide on the hot side along with the basking area, and then a moist hide on the cooler side...or did I get that backwards?

I place all hides on the opposite end of the basking area. For the humid hide I use a Rubbermaid type of container with an arched doorway cut into the front. I put a layer of sphagnum moss inside, which I keep moist by spraying daily. I paint the whole thing black on the outside so that it is dark inside. The same set up, minus the moisture can be used for the dry hide. I use small, simple wood boxes with one side open for the dry hide. they have no bottoms and just sit on the substrate. Most of my stuff is made from wood because I am a carpenter/woodworker and have lots of "free" material in my shop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
That makes sense....thanks for all the replys...I am sure I will arrange and rearrange until I have it right. Glad I have you guys to come to with all my questions. Thanks again.

RE: Hides?
....so the dry hide on the hot side along with the basking area, and then a moist hide on the cooler side...or did I get that backwards?

I place all hides on the opposite end of the basking area. For the humid hide I use a Rubbermaid type of container with an arched doorway cut into the front. I put a layer of sphagnum moss inside, which I keep moist by spraying daily. I paint the whole thing black on the outside so that it is dark inside. The same set up, minus the moisture can be used for the dry hide. I use small, simple wood boxes with one side open for the dry hide. they have no bottoms and just sit on the substrate. Most of my stuff is made from wood because I am a carpenter/woodworker and have lots of "free" material in my shop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/quote]

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
I place both hides farthest from the basking area as possible. Think of it as the warmer basking area being the activity area and the end opposite or farthest from the basking area, which would be the cooler area, as the sleeping area.

Here's a quick drawing of what I was referring to:

basichides.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.