Hides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnlaws

5 Year Member
I have an 8 month Sully who will not use a hide. There are two in the enclosure but he won't use either. Is it a big deal? Is he just so comfortable he doesn't feel the need?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app
1. Sulcata baby
7. Assorted Ball Pythons
1. XL Savannah Monitor
1. Red Iguana

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Comfortable or stubborn. You could move one to his favorite place to sleep. Then see if he will still sleep there. Also, are the hides big enough to turn around in? May be too small for his liking.

Johnlaws

5 Year Member
I would say both... They are each in areas he frequents. And are large enough. I tried for a while to put him inside at lights out but he comes right back out.

1. Sulcata baby
7. Assorted Ball Pythons
1. XL Savannah Monitor
1. Red Iguana

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it were me. I would take one hide out. Leave him one to use if he wants and then don't worry about it. If he doesn't use it, it's not a big deal, but I would always have one available.

Haira32

5 Year Member
Mine was doing the same thing, I had the night temp set to 79 and when I turned it up 82 he stayed in the hide and continues to do so. I think the hides keep a bit cooler than the ambient tempurature.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have observed that hatchlings and young ones tend to avoid any sort of hole in the ground, or dark retreat. I suspect this is a survival instinct due to the fact that any hole in the ground was made by some animal that might not care for the tortoise sharing its space. I find babies and small ones would rather tuck into the bases of plants and be in heavy vegetation.

Johnlaws

5 Year Member
Tom, that seems right on. He won't use the hide but he will tuck himself under the fake plants in the enclosure. I guess I'll leave it up to him to know what makes him feel safe.

1. Sulcata baby
7. Assorted Ball Pythons
1. XL Savannah Monitor
1. Red Iguana

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
If he is protected, warm, and humid then I would not be too concerned. He could feel secure out of the hide and/or insecure inside the hide. A picture of the hides and the enclosure might give us a clue.

Johnlaws

5 Year Member
I can take a pic later after work. But I'm using a sealed vision cage, cool side is 82 warm side is 90 with a basking spot of 110. Humidity is around 80%. I'm using super pet woodland critter wood houses as hides.

1. Sulcata baby
7. Assorted Ball Pythons
1. XL Savannah Monitor
1. Red Iguana

He's very outgoing and cocky, eats like a hog. I've just read so much about providing hides and he could care less about them. Was just curious as to why he wouldn't want one. I guess to each his own..

1. Sulcata baby
7. Assorted Ball Pythons
1. XL Savannah Monitor
1. Red Iguana

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Johnlaws said:
He's very outgoing and cocky, eats like a hog. I've just read so much about providing hides and he could care less about them. Was just curious as to why he wouldn't want one. I guess to each his own..

That sounds good. He may decide at some point that he wants to use the hide so I would keep it in the enclosure. My sulcata lives outside full time. I have watched him pass by a turnip plant several times a day for weeks without ever smelling it. Then, one day, he eats the whole plant. I have come to the realization that what seems logical to me doesn't apply to a sulcata.

Johnlaws

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374959674.312754.jpgNot a great pic but good enough.

1. Sulcata baby
7. Assorted Ball Pythons
1. XL Savannah Monitor
1. Red Iguana

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.