Hiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scirish

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Hey! So i am new poster here! But I introduced myself and my tortoise a few days back. Anyways Knuckles has been acting really strange lately. I took him out today for a soak and he stayed in his shell completely which he hasn't ever done before normally he sticks his head straight out. Also he hasn't been eating too much compared to usual.He looks normal and his breathing is normal. Maybe it is too cold for him? I am going to go get some stuff to help bring up the heat because thats what I think the issue may be but if you guys have any other ideas that would be great.

M

Maggie Cummings

How do you have him set up? Lights, substrate, heat etc???

Scirish

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Hey Maggie he is on cypress mulch again. I have an MVB light as well as a light for basking and one heat emitter. He is in the second warmest room of my house (room next to furnace room) so its a fairly warm room but the temperature in the tank has dropped a bit I think so I think I am going to buy another emitter unless you have a better idea? But for now I have centralized the heat near his favourite hide (where he has been since i put him back this morning). The temperatures are rising in that area so hopefully that will keep him warm enough until I can get some more stuff to distribute the heat later today.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
do you have a top on to help keep the heat in?
When you soak, is the water nice a warm ?
Redfoots dont need the light as much.. if its too bright they may hide..
but heat and humidity and must!

Scirish

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Hey Laura! I never thought of that the top of his enclosure broke (long story). I am in the process of making a new one but that is very likely what the issue is. As for his baths the water is warm and I keep his humidity high but obviously the heat is starting to be more of a challenge. What do you all recommend making a top out of in terms of keeping heat in.

Scirish

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Laura I appreciate the help. I have already brought the temperature up quite a bit. Thanks all! Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
HI...what is your name? Can you post a picture of your enclosure? I usually keep their vivarium in the high 80's. Lots of plants keep up the humidity. I have a heat emitter and a long tube UVB light. Low light, high warm humidity. I think that's the key to a happy RF....at least that's what I've been told.

Scirish

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Hi Terry! My name is Erik. There is a picture of part of my enclosure in my introduction which is in the introduction section of the forum. Since the picture I have replaced the substrate back to cypress mulch. I have a dream to have my enclosure looking like yours one day but that will probably have to wait till spring when I can start getting some plants. However I would love to talk to you sometime maybe in private messages about your enclosure. I am getting back up to the high 80s now in mine. Do you keep the whole enclosure in the high 80s with no cool or hot spot? Thanks!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Hey Erik. You can pm me any time, I would be happy to help if I can. I keep the whole enclosure in the high 80's. If they are too hot, which I've never noticed, they can sit under a plant and cool off. Even with 89 - 90 I've seen both of them sitting under the heat emitter. The little one will climb up on his hide and sit there most of the day, and it's always hotter up there as it's closest to the heat emitter.

Scirish

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
He seems to be doing a lot better today. He came out and walked around ate a bit and went in his water dish. Hopefully that is a good sign. Thanks all.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Scirish said:
He seems to be doing a lot better today. He came out and walked around ate a bit and went in his water dish. Hopefully that is a good sign. Thanks all.

Good to hear. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.