Hiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmt123

5 Year Member
This is the third day having my box turtles. They have been hiding all the time and I am worried if there getting enough water

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
box turtles are very hearty...they need time to get to know you...if you keep coming around they will try to hide (until they warm up to you)..just approach them very slowly..talk to them in a soft voice..moving fast and handling them and talking loud will make them nervous....they will get water and eat if you leave it there for them...they are shy at first sometimes...and probably will do so when you are not around

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
If the water looks undisturbed (like they haven't been to it), you better set them in it (one at a time) and let them soak. A stressed new box turtle will often ignore its needs and hide, to it's own detriment. If you don't have a digital scale that measures in grams, get one. It will tell you if they are dehydrating. Any quick weight loss is water loss.
Generally, you want to leave them alone the first couple weeks, but if they aren't drinking, they'll go downhill quickly.
Are you in a dry climate?

bmt123

5 Year Member
I dont really know i spray down the enclosure daily

Status
Not open for further replies.