High dome

anjarys

Location (City and/or State)
Infonesia
Hi, new keeper and new member of this beloved forum.
As a new keeper i have zero knowledge and still learning on how to raise a tortoise.

One thing that keeps me wondering is high dome shape. Is it genetic or is it achivable by special treatments?

Thanks!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
As far as I know, high domes are typical of particular species, like the Ploughshare tortoise. However, incorrect husbandry can affect growth and cause pyramiding , flattening and misshapen shells, as in Metabolic bone disease, in any species.

anjarys

Infonesia
As far as I know, high domes are typical of particular species, like the Ploughshare tortoise. However, incorrect husbandry can affect growth and cause pyramiding , flattening and misshapen shells, as in Metabolic bone disease, in any species.
Hi, thank you for your respond. Saw some people saying high dome to a half-round sulcata carapace. This is what i meant.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe in some species, like the sulcata, Aldabra and maybe a few more, it depends on the region they are from whether they are a higher dome of not
@Markw84 might be able to explain better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As a new keeper i have zero knowledge and still learning on how to raise a tortoise.

One thing that keeps me wondering is high dome shape. Is it genetic or is it achivable by special treatments?

Thanks!
Dome shape is determined by genetics. Incorrect husbandry can corrupt this, as Barb explained, but that would be very bad.

In sulcatas, there are two types that we know of. The regular type that primarily came from Mali, and the larger males with higher domes that came from the Sudan. Almost all of the ones in the hobby came from Mali, but the breeders of the Sudans did ship tens of thousands of them overseas in years past. Mostly to China, but some may have made it to Indonesia too. A look at the mother and father of your tortoise would tell us what you have.

anjarys

Infonesia
I believe in some species, like the sulcata, Aldabra and maybe a few more, it depends on the region they are from whether they are a higher dome of not
@Markw84 might be able to explain better.
I see. So it is genetics. Thanks for the information.
Dome shape is determined by genetics. Incorrect husbandry can corrupt this, as Barb explained, but that would be very bad.

In sulcatas, there are two types that we know of. The regular type that primarily came from Mali, and the larger males with higher domes that came from the Sudan. Almost all of the ones in the hobby came from Mali, but the breeders of the Sudans did ship tens of thousands of them overseas in years past. Mostly to China, but some may have made it to Indonesia too. A look at the mother and father of your tortoise would tell us what you have.
Yes, you are right. Some have made it to indonesia. I have seen on some forums, they posted high dome sulcatas. So if it genetics, it must have been sudanese. They come with higher price if compared to the regular ones.
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you! I get a lot of useful information on keeping and raising my sulcata pairs on this forum 😁

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I see. So it is genetics. Thanks for the information.

Yes, you are right. Some have made it to indonesia. I have seen on some forums, they posted high dome sulcatas. So if it genetics, it must have been sudanese. They come with higher price if compared to the regular ones.

Thank you! I get a lot of useful information on keeping and raising my sulcata pairs on this forum 😁
Hope you are not really keeping them in pairs? If so, you will be down to one in the near future and they both are under very high stress levels. Search on this forum about keeping tortoises in pairs. Hundreds of post why this is not good for any species but specially Sulcatas.

anjarys

Infonesia
Hope you are not really keeping them in pairs? If so, you will be down to one in the near future and they both are under very high stress levels. Search on this forum about keeping tortoises in pairs. Hundreds of post why this is not good for any species but specially Sulcatas.
You mean bullying as per Tom's thread? If so, i have seen several times the signs of it. It is time to get a separate container then 😅

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You mean bullying as per Tom's thread? If so, i have seen several times the signs of it. It is time to get a separate container then 😅
Yes, like Toms thread. Even if you aren't seeing it, it's there, in the stress alone.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum!!! I rlly wanted to say that to someone :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ok. How to make this thread into a combination Dome and Bullying thread? Well. If you have a pair of tortoises together in one enclosure, one with a high dome and one flat with pyramiding, and the HD one flips the flat one over upside down, and he can't turn back upright...! Well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok. How to make this thread into a combination Dome and Bullying thread? Well. If you have a pair of tortoises together in one enclosure, one with a high dome and one flat with pyramiding, and the HD one flips the flat one over upside down, and he can't turn back upright...! Well.
Good effort, but was premature. Only two post about bullying and one was the OP. Cuz see, I won't wait until someone asks. If I see it or read it, I say it lol.
But keep this handy, cuz now you made me post yet another post about it😡🤣😂