Highland Cattle and Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Laura said:
I love them! want a few.. BUT do they come Polled? Horns like that scare me and make them more difficult..

They do not come polled. That is part of the attraction of the breed. It would be similar to dehorning a Texas Longhorn, but I've seen it done before (on both!)

The only Highlands I've seen dehorned were steers that were being raised for slaughter. I was slightly weary of their horns at first, but once you're around them it's really not bad at all. Considering most deaths resulting from cows are due to them crushing you against the ground -- horns or no horns -- dead is dead.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what about head gates with horned cattle> Ive always wondered that with the long horns and Watusi! how do they fit in a chute? trailer? but yours are smaller.. just love them!

M

Maggie Cummings

Thank you so much for sharing they are beautiful animals, so is your fiancée...:D The horses are magnificent...It's wonderful that you have different animals...

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
Headgates are not recommended. Instead we use a Medina Hinge.

*(Note: that is not my website, pictures, content, etc. I do not claim ownership or affiliation with Granger Cattle Co. in any way, shape, or form.)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I was hoping when you said you had Highlands, that you would show us them. Thanks! We have a small group of about 15 near here (that I drive out of my way to see :D). If I ever decided to get into cattle, this would be my choice. I like their coats and small size.

Now, I just have to wait for my computer to allow me to see more then an inch of each of the pictures...*grumble grumble*...

I agree Brahmas are pretty, but their tempers are well deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.