HOLY EASTERN TURTLE FINDING!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

krb1093

5 Year Member
My daughter and I take at least 2 walks a day down the trails in our backyard. Today we came across 3 eastern box turtles!!!!!! took pictures of 2 of them but the other ran into some brush before I could grab it. The male was BEAUTIFUL the pics don't show all the color, the other was a young I think female. I never came across one this small in the wild. Then we left to go to the store and seen what I thought was some debris in the road until I seen legs and it was a good size snapper. he was in the road so I wanted to make sure he made it, but he wasn't to thrilled to see me so I had to scuff my feet behind him to get him to the other side. Anyway 3 boxies within 30 minutes! We had a huge storm last night so I think they may have been looking for water. We've had a horrible drought this year. I'm so happy to see them thriving and doing well out here. Which brings up the sick eastern I picked up 3 days ago. When she gets better can I release her in the woods? I'm sure she prolly came from there anyway. I don't wanna put her back in the road. I've heard you need to place them back where you found them. Also do you think she would make it through the winter after being this sick? I'm willing to keep her indoors this winter if need be and then release her back. What whould everyone recommend.

Attachments

• turtles of the day 001.JPG
    turtles of the day 001.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 74
  • turtles of the day 002.JPG
    turtles of the day 002.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 77
  • turtles of the day 003.JPG
    turtles of the day 003.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 71
  • turtles of the day 004.JPG
    turtles of the day 004.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 77
  • guitar 001.JPG
    guitar 001.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 67

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those are some beauties. What a nice walk. As for the sick boxie. I think if it makes a full recovery before too long, it would be safe to put her back. Not in the road of course, but in the woods where you found her. As long as you are still seeing boxies out in the wild, and she is recovered, it should be good. See what others say.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I agree. You still have time before it gets too cold to put her back. If you feel she is fully recovered, I would bring her to the place you found her. Just make sure you do it before any leaves start to fall. This will giver her plenty of time to find her hibernation spot.
Wow....that red male is exceptional. You are very lucky to see these beautiful box turtles in the wild.

krb1093

5 Year Member
Cool, thanks to both of you. Yes, we have so many different breeds around here. Had dozens of painted hatchlings running around our yard back in april/may

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
krb1093 said:
My daughter and I take at least 2 walks a day down the trails in our backyard. Today we came across 3 eastern box turtles!!!!!! took pictures of 2 of them but the other ran into some brush before I could grab it. The male was BEAUTIFUL the pics don't show all the color, the other was a young I think female. I never came across one this small in the wild. Then we left to go to the store and seen what I thought was some debris in the road until I seen legs and it was a good size snapper. he was in the road so I wanted to make sure he made it, but he wasn't to thrilled to see me so I had to scuff my feet behind him to get him to the other side. Anyway 3 boxies within 30 minutes! We had a huge storm last night so I think they may have been looking for water. We've had a horrible drought this year. I'm so happy to see them thriving and doing well out here. Which brings up the sick eastern I picked up 3 days ago. When she gets better can I release her in the woods? I'm sure she prolly came from there anyway. I don't wanna put her back in the road. I've heard you need to place them back where you found them. Also do you think she would make it through the winter after being this sick? I'm willing to keep her indoors this winter if need be and then release her back. What whould everyone recommend.
Beautiful! Reminds me of growing up in the Maryland suburbs where we could find dozens of these beautiful box turtles every summer. Where are you located? I agree with others that you can release a healed box turtle to the wild as long as hibernation time hasn't begun. thanks for the pics!
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.